Actually no, Andy, we don't have any. Of course if we did I'd've eaten them all. Today I've been eating my way through a loaf of bread - it was reduced to 12p so seems rude not to. As well as which I had a scrambled egg, some oatmeal, erm, two packets of crisps [if/when I move out I intend simply not to buy them - worked at college], nuts... I ought to eat more fruit but it takes time to prepare, except bananas, which are still a bit green. I find if I'm trying to actually cook anything I look for something to eat whilst it's cooking, so perhaps it's best not to try cooking! Anyway, so, yeah, in need of some willpower. Or better still, somewhere else to be all day other than in the house!
Absolutely. Which is why, like crisps, it's best just not to buy them. Especially as they're like £1.04 now, and I remember when they were 88p [/withered-old-crone voice].
Washing, peeling, chopping, trying not to get water or juice on my skin. I'm clearly very lazy. But true, that's not a lot of preparation. There's more of a problem with cooking things like pasta, as I tend to start looking for other things to eat 'in the meantime'...
My totally unsolicited, makes blatantly obvious points expert opinion: I think you either eat because there's food around or you wait too long to start cooking, and blatantly do it when you're already hungry which is why it makes you peckish and will affect how much you eat from your main meal.
Possible solutions: (a) don't start cooking when you're absolutely ravenous. Think about how long it will take you to cook something, then subtract that time from ravenous time and then start 15 minutes before that.
(b) cook more than one meal's worth a time. If you're just pouring pesto over your pasta, then you can't do that, but if you make a more complicated sauce, then having larger amounts means that you only have to wait for the pasta to cook (not that long really) and you can potentially heat the sauce in the microwave.
(c)Ration yourself with things like digestives and crisps - I put crisps somewhere where I can't easily see them if I open a cupboard - stops me from eating them just for the heck of it.
(d) drink more water. If you're feeling hungry, you might actually be dehydrated. Have a glass of water and if you're still hungry 15 minutes after that, then eat something.
Cool, thanks for that :) I shall try to do as you suggest. It'd probably be good if I had more 'deliberate' meals, too. Inasmuch as I don't tend to have lunch as such, just a slight increase in snacking around 1pm, and a lot of the time I don't really have dinner as such either. Another symptom of there being very little structure to my days.
9 Comments:
what do you eat so much of?
It'll be chocolate digestives, it always is!
Actually no, Andy, we don't have any. Of course if we did I'd've eaten them all. Today I've been eating my way through a loaf of bread - it was reduced to 12p so seems rude not to. As well as which I had a scrambled egg, some oatmeal, erm, two packets of crisps [if/when I move out I intend simply not to buy them - worked at college], nuts... I ought to eat more fruit but it takes time to prepare, except bananas, which are still a bit green. I find if I'm trying to actually cook anything I look for something to eat whilst it's cooking, so perhaps it's best not to try cooking! Anyway, so, yeah, in need of some willpower. Or better still, somewhere else to be all day other than in the house!
Absolutely. Which is why, like crisps, it's best just not to buy them. Especially as they're like £1.04 now, and I remember when they were 88p [/withered-old-crone voice].
Yes, but who can resist a roll or two of chocolate digestives? There are some things you just can't expect a man to do...
how exactly does fruit require preparation?
Washing, peeling, chopping, trying not to get water or juice on my skin. I'm clearly very lazy. But true, that's not a lot of preparation. There's more of a problem with cooking things like pasta, as I tend to start looking for other things to eat 'in the meantime'...
My totally unsolicited, makes blatantly obvious points expert opinion: I think you either eat because there's food around or you wait too long to start cooking, and blatantly do it when you're already hungry which is why it makes you peckish and will affect how much you eat from your main meal.
Possible solutions:
(a) don't start cooking when you're absolutely ravenous. Think about how long it will take you to cook something, then subtract that time from ravenous time and then start 15 minutes before that.
(b) cook more than one meal's worth a time. If you're just pouring pesto over your pasta, then you can't do that, but if you make a more complicated sauce, then having larger amounts means that you only have to wait for the pasta to cook (not that long really) and you can potentially heat the sauce in the microwave.
(c)Ration yourself with things like digestives and crisps - I put crisps somewhere where I can't easily see them if I open a cupboard - stops me from eating them just for the heck of it.
(d) drink more water. If you're feeling hungry, you might actually be dehydrated. Have a glass of water and if you're still hungry 15 minutes after that, then eat something.
Cool, thanks for that :) I shall try to do as you suggest. It'd probably be good if I had more 'deliberate' meals, too. Inasmuch as I don't tend to have lunch as such, just a slight increase in snacking around 1pm, and a lot of the time I don't really have dinner as such either. Another symptom of there being very little structure to my days.
Post a Comment
<< Home