Another day in the house...
... wondering whether to bother applying for yet more positions I won't get... (I'm understanding now not only that my experience and abilities are sparse but that I have next to no idea of how to present them successfully) ... wishing I was making any kind of contribution to the world ... oh and realising that the next time I'm due any income is next January when the building society interest is paid. Though I suppose there's a chance I'll eventually get the money I wasn't paid for working last month.
I don't think it's surprising that at times when one feels completely devoid of purpose, the Sinister Masterplan manages to make a case for itself. But I suppose one just has to tell oneself that there will be opportunities to do something worthwhile, and to keep on trying to make it happen.
---
On the subject of applications, I particularly dislike competency questions, because frankly I don't consider myself very competent, especially not in a way that can be concisely depicted in 150 words. Trying convincingly to argue that I fulfil the terms of a person specification is pretty hard, too. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I find that a lot of the time I want to ask what, in fact, 'knowledge of quantitative data analysis', for example, means. Was it part of my degree? If I don't know, how would anyone else? And so forth.
---
I had the thought that, sooner or later, I really need to try to work out what I'd actually like to do. Not an easy question, that.
---
I remember reading that - to paraphrase - people with social and personal neuroses have a tendency to end up working in jobs that are well beneath their true capability. Personally I'd quite like one of these jobs at the moment... Heh.
I don't think it's surprising that at times when one feels completely devoid of purpose, the Sinister Masterplan manages to make a case for itself. But I suppose one just has to tell oneself that there will be opportunities to do something worthwhile, and to keep on trying to make it happen.
---
On the subject of applications, I particularly dislike competency questions, because frankly I don't consider myself very competent, especially not in a way that can be concisely depicted in 150 words. Trying convincingly to argue that I fulfil the terms of a person specification is pretty hard, too. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I find that a lot of the time I want to ask what, in fact, 'knowledge of quantitative data analysis', for example, means. Was it part of my degree? If I don't know, how would anyone else? And so forth.
---
I had the thought that, sooner or later, I really need to try to work out what I'd actually like to do. Not an easy question, that.
---
I remember reading that - to paraphrase - people with social and personal neuroses have a tendency to end up working in jobs that are well beneath their true capability. Personally I'd quite like one of these jobs at the moment... Heh.

15 Comments:
Get a job you don't have to apply for then. Like prostitution, or being a hereditary peer.
Oh damn, they got rid those didn’t they. That is peers, not prostitutes, thankfully.
Ah, well I've never believed in prostitution. Think I'd've enjoyed being a[n] hereditary peer, though...
And you thought of becoming a solicitor? {mock horror at the thought of a solicitor who wasn't prostituting themself}
(bored in the library again - have run out of things to look at on Amazon)
Heehee.
There was an 'ethical careers' fair at Imperial today. Do you want me to have a look into it?
What's the 'Sinister Masterplan'??
If you can give me a URL so I can read about it, that'd be cool :)
Note to Cantabrigians: our own 'ethical careers' fair is on February 9th, i.e. next Thursday. Worth going unless you're really too scared even to make eye-contact with anyone, in which case the value is admittedly limited.
A recurring idea for a sensible long-term plan. As you can imagine there are a few people at present who wouldn't agree with it. Myself included at the moment.
Knowledge of quantitative data analysis:
Women require your time and money, and the more time of yours they occupy the more of your money they spend, therefore:
women = time x money
Now time equals money, so:
time = money =>
women = money x money
Money is the root of all evil, so:
money = square root of evil
By squaring both sides of the equation:
money squared = evil
Now go back to the equation:
women = money x money
See where I'm headed?
women = money squared = evil
What a shit day. I'm giving up on chasing women for a bit. While evil is considerably overstating the case, irrational and unpredictable just about hits the spot.
My, that is interesting. I make it your 200th visit, by the way. Which isn't to say I can work out which of my friends is likely to have been chasing women in the first place... Of course some people say you only find someone when you stop looking. Not remotely sure I subscribe to that...
http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/ethicalcareersexhibition/v1/index.php?section=1
is the link, I think. If you can't access it, then I'll do waht I can to get the stuff for you.
Oh, and the 'not looking for girls' things worked for me (and didn't work when I was looking). It also required a large amount of time chatting on msn, and a willingness to speak to random people.
or just take the part up to /ethicalcareersexhibition/ if you can't read the rest.
"It also required a large amount of time chatting on msn, and a willingness to speak to random people."
I'd consider those two of the most obvious traits associated with looking for girls. Then again, by random people I read random girls. Question is, once you start working where do you meet girls? I'm not a fan of the club scene - guess I'll have to work the bars and take up a hobby that girls like, without coming across as gay. Christ, I'm starting to sound like stephen - I do apologise.
Yes, but do you know how we met up?
[mock indignation] I say, this is a respectable blog, not some kind of forum for lonely men! [Aside: call PriestChat now to connect with other Priests] I would suggest the two of you continue by email except of course that I don't know who Anonymous is. Clearly someone I know quite well, since he knows what I sound[ed] like - though I don't recall ever saying I was going to 'work the bars'! And yet someone who is both single and confesses the preference not to be. Bit tricky, this one. Oh, someone needs to get Firefox, too.
Alex: Are you going to be mentioning how you met up, or leaving it as an enigmatic realm of possibilities? Hehe.
Post a Comment
<< Home