Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Changing Perceptions (again)

A potentially-useful realisation occurred to me last night. I seem to have been operating on the basis that I could, ought or should be looking at those opportunities that require 'Top Graduates'. But now I come to think of it, I wouldn't class myself as one of those on the great majority of criteria by which they might be defined. My 'official' on-paper (except totally not on paper) Tripos success is, after all, just the result of a combination of memory, dumb luck, and being able to write coherently under pressure in a few exams. People a lot more competent than me can and did obtain lower Tripos marks, but that doesn't make me better than them by a long chalk. And this is just the matter of exam results, which when it comes down to it are probably of pretty minor relevance to post-graduation life.

So rather than trying to shoehorn myself into Top Graduate positions, perhaps I should be more realistic and look for Pretty Ordinary Graduate, Really or No Degree Required sorts of things. (Which isn't to say I haven't been looking at them, but I suppose I've had this feeling that I could do better). Though they're not all that common for a natsci - a mediocre English graduate could probably go and work in a bookshop or museum, but I'm not sure what a mediocre Science graduate would do.

That said, if you watch such TV programmes as the Deadly Knowledge Show (and I strongly advise you not to, but it's occasionally the result of continuing breakfast beyond Frasier), there are a bunch of twentysomethings, presumably students or graduates, revealing themselves to be just too stupid. Not Weakest Link stupid, but pretty bad. Not sure I'd really put myself in the category of people who require multiple-choice answers to the question "what is the sum of the interior angles of a triangle?", however unimpressed with myself I am...

One of my friends at college used my conspicuous lack of post-graduation ambition as a reason why I should stop worrying quite so much about the fact that I was Clearly Going To Fail My Exams (TM). All very well at the time but I rather wish now that I had some kind of horizon to pursue.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kind of getting used to the idea that all the things I'm looking at don't really need a good degree from a good university, since it's all about experience and working your way up...

January 31, 2006 11:53 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Agreed - except for those proper high-flying banking/finance/consulting kind of things, which at present look to be probably the least suitable things for me!

January 31, 2006 12:19 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

[Stephen notices that he may have just used 'proper' in the somewhat colloquial, Trowbridgian way that he's given certain people such a hard time about...]

To clarify, that was 'proper' as an adjective applied to 'things', meant in the sense of 'typical/expected/contents-of-careers-guides', rather than 'proper' as an adadjective (so to speak) applied to 'high-flying'. But now I'm getting confused about whether 'high-flying' is a proper adjective or some kind of deformed verb, so I'm just going to stop...

January 31, 2006 12:26 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

1. I object to the Weakest Link stupid bit on behalf of Dan, who is horribly intelligent and has been on there twice (the second time for the first round losers show - teehee).

2. I know someone who was on the Deadly Knowledge Show (caught it on a Friday when I was still in bed and was too lazy to switch off) and he's doing my course - he's thick, and brings the profession into disrepute in a way stockings and suspenders don't.

3. Have you considered teaching? (I know a mediocre-ish Physics Tripos grad who is doing that).

(Sorry for numbering everything, I'm drafting a defence and counterclaim and everything is just paragraph numbers!!!)

January 31, 2006 12:34 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

1. Oops... I apologise to my learned friend for the slight on her Doctor's intelligence. I stand by my point that in general the contestants aren't exactly bright though. A lot of the questions are so hideously easy that I can answer them (thanks to the subtitles) before she's even started asking them, but people still get them wrong... I also wonder whether, in general the makers of such shows try to screen out a lot of the really good applicants so as not to have to pay out too much in prizes... hehe.

2. Hehe.

3. On the 'those who can't...' principle, you mean? [Just kidding. Mostly.] I have considered it, mostly in the sense of "you'll end up teaching if you can't think of anything else, you know". Actually I'm quite interested in Teach First but I have several unresolved issues with it, viz.
a) It seems like a particular kind of masochism to put oneself in the firing line in a 'challenging' London school, especially if they're as dangerous and out-of-control as we're led to believe. I look on it partly as a latter-day National Service :P
b) I'm not sure my degree actually makes me suitable for teaching, and I can't find anyone to tell me. 40% of your degree has to be in the subject you want to teach, which is obviously fine if they just class my degree as 'science', but not if they class it as 11% physics, 11% chemistry, 11% zoology, 5.5% history, 44% psychology... etc. I did ask the PGCE admissions people at Cambridge about it once. They replied "well, 40% of your degree has to be in the subject you want to teach"...
c) Teach First is, arguably, exactly the kind of Top Graduate thing that I'm tending to admit defeat on. (They want the top 3% of graduates, I believe)
d) [But] I don't particularly want to take any other route into teaching because half the point is that I don't know what I want to do in the long term...

January 31, 2006 1:28 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

I know someone who couldn't pay for her solicitor training so she joined Teach First (who took her to pizza express) to teach English and earn some money to pay for the LPC.

January 31, 2006 4:42 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Really? Gosh... And how did that work out for her?

January 31, 2006 6:41 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Sorry, that sounds sarcastic - wasn't meant to! :)

January 31, 2006 8:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home