Local Front-Page Brouhaha...
... this week, as local sixth-formers threaten to strike in a dispute over car parking. (Someone told me sixth-formers get paid these days, so perhaps the term 'strike' isn't all that far from the truth). Which is interesting. Back in my day sixth formers' cars were allowed - or at least tolerated - in one of the car parks, though I can only recall about half a dozen of us driving (myself not amongst them). Apparently now the school doesn't want them on the site at all, which is fair enough if the teachers and other staff really need all the space: of course it's the school's decision who parks on the premises, though it does seem to be asking rather a lot to expect no students to come by car given that the school serves quite a wide, largely rural area.
The bit I can't understand is why the school - or the neighbours - is trying to exert control over parking on the public highway. In context: it's a quiet 30mph residential road, and the neighbours are relatively few large houses with plenty of parking of their own. There are marked bays along a couple of hundred metres of roadside, and no parking restrictions. So, I would've thought, anyone who pays their road-fund licence is quite within their rights to park there.
Anyway, that's my two penn'orth; anyone care to comment?
In other news, ah the joys of finding Sainsbury's stays open til 11, and of arriving at the ten-items-or-less checkout to find you do in fact only have nine items. And - I can hardly believe it but it's true, honest - following a window-cleaner's van adhering to a 30mph limit! So that was a pleasant surprise.
Anyway, if I can get possession of one of the TVs, it's about time for Question Time :)
The bit I can't understand is why the school - or the neighbours - is trying to exert control over parking on the public highway. In context: it's a quiet 30mph residential road, and the neighbours are relatively few large houses with plenty of parking of their own. There are marked bays along a couple of hundred metres of roadside, and no parking restrictions. So, I would've thought, anyone who pays their road-fund licence is quite within their rights to park there.
Anyway, that's my two penn'orth; anyone care to comment?
In other news, ah the joys of finding Sainsbury's stays open til 11, and of arriving at the ten-items-or-less checkout to find you do in fact only have nine items. And - I can hardly believe it but it's true, honest - following a window-cleaner's van adhering to a 30mph limit! So that was a pleasant surprise.
Anyway, if I can get possession of one of the TVs, it's about time for Question Time :)

4 Comments:
Well, Katie described our introduction at the NYE TE gathering,. It will remain a 'enigmatic realm of possibilites' until I know exactly who I'm telling. HH have improved their car-parking. Sub-standard Sheldon eh?
Driving is *very* popular now. though i probably didn't need to say it.
(I don't even have to tell anyone how we met up. It's all in the public domain anyway :) )
Having read both your blog and hers at the time, I'm reasonably acquainted with the story. But for the benefit of those who aren't, one might say it involved a Meditteranean cruise in 1920s costume, an unfortunate incident involving a croupier, and a team of llamas. Of course if one were to say that, everyone else would quite rightly want to escort you to a darkened room for a nice lie down.
The fact that Sheldon isn't remotely substandard compared to HH is so well-established that I shan't rehearse it here! Apparently it just happens that their (fairly large) parking capacity isn't enough. Though I've heard of staff who live about two minutes' walk from the school and yet use their cars, which can't be helping...
They should tell all the muppets who drive in in designer 4x4s to park them on the fields.
Hehe, yeah. I don't suppose many of the staff can afford them, mind.
Was watching (accidentally) some TV show with Patrick Stewart, in which he and his colleagues, in a Discovery 3, were trying to escape with climate-change research data from a bunch of corporate pig-dogs in a VW Sharan. Which they did by driving along a beach until the VW got stuck in a sand dune, allowing Picard to say "See, these gas-guzzlers do have their uses!". [Rolls eyes]
To tie my two comments together, there's a house around here with both a Smart and a huge 4x4 pickup truck. I suppose it's meant to be post-modern-ironic or something...
Post a Comment
<< Home