Vague Career-related Thoughts
It occurred to me that, although I keep saying there's no longer an 'obvious path' after graduation, there are some that are more obvious than others. For one, I went to the trouble of getting a BPS-accredited degree so I would be eligible to train as a professional psychologist. Part II wasn't as much fun as it might have been but still, maybe this is something I should be considering. Though not convinced I'd be cut out for clinical work, there are several other options...
That said, I think I'm characterised in a way by being vaguely interested in a whole lot of things rather than particularly interested in anything. But I can't imagine there are many careers that suit that profile.
Languages: a lot of jobs are asking for fluency in two or more languages these days. Which concerns me rather. I have A-A-level German and A*-GCSE French, which isn't too bad for a scientist, but I'd be lucky to hold even a short conversation in either, it's so long since I studied them. As for fluency, how does one define that? I first thought to be fluent one has to speak the language as well as someone for whom it's their mother tongue, but of course there are a fair few British people whose claim to be fluent in English is a bit shaky. So perhaps fluency is degree-level standard? Language courses join the list of Things I Should Have Done In Cambridge, but I still don't think they'd've made me fluent.
9pm, Channel 4, The IT Crowd. Reviews are favourable, so might be worth a look. If anyone reading this has access to a TV, which come to think of it I doubt...
That said, I think I'm characterised in a way by being vaguely interested in a whole lot of things rather than particularly interested in anything. But I can't imagine there are many careers that suit that profile.
Languages: a lot of jobs are asking for fluency in two or more languages these days. Which concerns me rather. I have A-A-level German and A*-GCSE French, which isn't too bad for a scientist, but I'd be lucky to hold even a short conversation in either, it's so long since I studied them. As for fluency, how does one define that? I first thought to be fluent one has to speak the language as well as someone for whom it's their mother tongue, but of course there are a fair few British people whose claim to be fluent in English is a bit shaky. So perhaps fluency is degree-level standard? Language courses join the list of Things I Should Have Done In Cambridge, but I still don't think they'd've made me fluent.
9pm, Channel 4, The IT Crowd. Reviews are favourable, so might be worth a look. If anyone reading this has access to a TV, which come to think of it I doubt...

2 Comments:
If you don't have a TV, then you can get the first two episodes of the IT crowd on the CH4 website....
jonc
... though I'm not quite convinced I'd recommend it. Might be better if one had been drinking a bit.
Post a Comment
<< Home