Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Culture, etc.

It's been a particularly eventful couple of days, despite nothing much happening, which I shall summarise chronologically as best I can...

  • Assembled with the rest of the posse at Senate-House at 12 to meet Emma from her final final; I deigned to accompany the others to Wetherspoons but then went back to college for some lunch at a cost of £0.77 - got to economise, you know...!
  • Went with Darz to the station - always an adventurous journey - to meet Toby's train; we had more lunch at Ta Bouche, though couldn't decide whether it was simply faux French or so faux it really was French. Still, the olives were good.
  • Punted along the backs, being reminded of why I don't punt more often. I can steer tolerably well, and I can sometimes manage forward propulsion, but very rarely concurrently. Still, I discovered that I don't have to duck at all passing under one of the low bridges (either Trinity, or the one at John's that's not the Bridge of Sighs), which goes to show what an excellent height I am. I also managed to squeeze us under the very edge of the Silver St bridge to bypass the congestion, possibly to the chagrin of some of the other punters... Thanks to the people who helped us retrieve the pole after Darz managed to lose it to a bridge. At £7/hr it's all good fun really isn't it... Darz, I owe you £3.
  • Dinner at Ha!Ha!, which was rather good, and it was really cool that there were so many of us in the group. Thanks to Rachel for 'helping' with the chips.
  • Watched Trzy kolory: Bialy at T'other Stephen's, which I didn't really understand, partly because I was very tired, partly because my practice of looking away during kissy scenes meant I missed some rather crucial bits of the plot. Music was good though.
  • [Incidentally, should I go to the Christ's showing of Monsoon Wedding, about which I know little but it's free and it's my last chance to go to a Christ's film, the Queens' showing of The Incredibles, which admittedly I know pretty much by heart but haven't seen for several weeks or indeed outside, or do I sit in the Buttery making the most of the one night that it's open til 11pm? Given that I never buy, drink, or eat anything in the Buttery suggests it might not be worth spending all evening there...]
  • Then Toby and I managed to spend most of the night discussing Harry Potter and ragging on Dan Brown. Toby manages to find depths in his analysis that I just don't see, since I'm very much about the surface features, rather than the underlying symbolism. I'm rather keen on the idea that JK might actually be a good writer, rather than a writer of mildly-diverting kids' books, though.
  • This morning, we took breakfast at Wetherspoon's, which was actually really good value, plus it was quiet and pretty much smoke-free at 11am. Recommended, particularly when the Bun Shop is closed for some reason, if you crave a large, unsophisticated fry-up.
  • We climbed Great St. Mary's tower, as you do, and took in the view. Strange what a difference a few metres makes.
  • "That's what she said".
  • We went to Border's and watched bits of the Lemony Snicket movie. That's a cool-looking movie, in the way that HP3 looked really cool, whatever you think of the plot. I may have to buy either the DVD or some of the books, and see what they're about.
  • We went to the Fitz - second time in 9 days for me - which is just awesome; the building, even if you're not at all interested in the contents, rocks too. Though I don't understand the doors at the Courtyard Entrance - what's the point of powered doors that you have to hold on to as they move?
  • Then back to college for a look at the exhibitions in the Old Library. Highly recommended for Christeans to get a look at some of the awesome stuff there. Tuesday afternoons, 2 - 4:45.
  • Now looking at the brand-new college prospectus; it's full of pictures of smily Christeans doing fun or silly things. Is this just a ploy to lure prospective students into thinking that this is a fun place? Or maybe - heretical thought I know - it really is a fun place. It's a fine life, I don't think we could really deny... I wasn't sure though whether to be relieved or disappointed that no photos of the Beaufort Ensemble made it into print!
  • I have two Maya Gold wrappers attached to my notice board; one (bought first but perhaps produced last) says Bittersweet dark chocolate with orange and spices, the other says Dark chocolate with orange and spices. Has it changed, and if so which is the new version, or is it some kind of anomaly?
  • Now going to see if yesterday's ISIHAC is on Listen Again (one of the greatest inventions of recent time...!), and have a look at the two Su Dokus that I've been meaning to try.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd suggest seeing the film rather than reading the books. They had the first six at the KES library and I found that although the books had much more original and interesting ideas than HP (which all childrens books are now invariably compared to) they're aimed at younger children and so can feel a little patronizing in places to anyone who's not about 7, whereas the film was visually interesting, Jim Carrey puts in a fantastic performance and the children that play the Baudelaires are orders of magnitude better actors than eg Daniel Radcliffe in Philosophers stone....don't get me wrong he's matured into a competant/good actor but in philosopher's stone his performance is almost cringeworthy. Admittedly only seen the film on a plane but it seemed pretty damn good to me.

June 14, 2005 6:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a book version of Three Colours: White?

Oh, I see. Well, from the ten minutes I saw with subtitles and no sound, I completely agree, I thought the film looked tremendous.

And thanks again for having me Stephen. I think your entry here creates a nice little review of the day(s).

TCH

June 14, 2005 10:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to my eternal chagrin, I can't work out what the "That's what she said" bullet point is there for. Hints, clues, mutterings?

TCH

June 14, 2005 10:24 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Just a slogan; see Family Guy season 3, "Emission Impossible" :)

June 14, 2005 11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should have guessed that given the available facts, shouldn't I? As we established, if it's not on the blog, consult 'Family Guy'. If it's not on 'Family Guy', consult the blog.

I also succumbed to ISIHAC, but where was Graeme Garden? I hope someone's finally noticed that he deserves his ascension to the throne.

TCH

June 15, 2005 3:12 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

That dude (what's his name?) singing Girlfriend in a Coma to the tune of Tiptoe through the tulips... genius...

June 15, 2005 10:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know- whoever came up with combination, obviously working out how well the first line scanned with the tune, was brilliant, but he also managed to sing it in that tone of happy shallowness that 'Tiptoe' has, which made it all the better.

TCH

June 15, 2005 2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about not naming 'a series of unfortunate events'........i knew what I was talking about and forgot that you might not

June 15, 2005 4:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home