Friday, June 10, 2005

Oxfamism

So, on a vicarious tip-off from Steph D (perhaps an example of local enhancement, if you're into social learning theory) I went to the Oxfam Bookshop and discovered they have the silicone MPH bands. Hurrah, etc. so now I have one of those too. Whether wristbands are just a mindless fashion accessory, a way of making it very public that you have given exceedingly modest amounts to charity, or a genuine means of spreading awareness of specific campaigns, remains in my view a matter for debate.

I then proceeded (via Fopp, where I managed to resist temptation, and Cult, where I was as usual rather confused by it all) to Bridge Street Oxfam where I replenished my Earl Grey supplies and found a 15-CD Mahler box set including symphonies 1-10 and das Lied von der Erde. It's still in its original packaging and I've no idea whether it's any good (it's Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt with Eliahu Inbal) but frankly at under 27p per disc it's good value even for coasters or random shiny things. I also made bumbling smalltalk about the weather with the nice lady at the till; how wonderfully English.

Back in Sidney Street I wondered why Sainsbury's always seems to have the best Big Issue sellers, and was reminded of the seller I saw last week at the corner of Trinity and Rose (so to speak), who had his Issues in one hand and was using the other to hold his cellphone. Something didn't seem quite right about that... and I don't just mean the conundrum of why, if I'm so English, I use terms like 'the corner of Trinity and Rose' or 'cellphone'...

Anyway no sooner had I arrived back in Z than Martin informed me the genetics results were out... but that's another post...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home