Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Royal Visit

Well, the royal visit's over so I guess it's no longer a secret; the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh came for tea as part of the quincentenary celebrations. Now, I'm no rampant royalist but even so I feel it was worth a couple of hours of my time for a number of reasons:
1. Another chance to dress up in a gown and ponce around feeling self-important.
2. Another excuse to spend time in the Fellows' Garden.
3. Free juice and cookies!!
4. A second chance to walk on the First Court lawn. That has to be worth the trouble.
Also of course, getting to see the royals, the VC, and the Master at close quarters. The Master's still the dude, and the others are dudes too; strange to see them in real life. We all had at least one up on the hoi polloi gathered behind crash barriers out on the street for a glimpse of the party leaving; but in fairness they got a much better look than I did at the State Bentley. Luckily I'd managed to position myself so that I could have a good view whilst being far enough back to get away with smiling and nodding rather than actually speaking to dignitaries.
Some unanswered questions though;
1. Who was the guy who looked like he'd walked off the set of Pirates of the Caribbean?
2. What was that random guy thinking who obviously turned up straight from an exam, wandering through the middle of it all in casual dress with a pencil case, no sign of a suit or even a gown? Honestly...

Time for more loafing before dinner...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home