Sunday, June 12, 2005

Cambridge Ambitions

Was just wandering through town thinking that I'd like to go to King's Chapel at least once whilst I'm at Cambridge, even if I don't manage the whole 'all colleges in one day' thing {if anyone's keen for either of these, let me know! I'd also like to visit the UL, and to take the tour bus to find out what the commentary is apart from the few seconds I used to hear as it passed my window}...

...when who should I see in front of me but Professor Hawking himself. Someone I've been hoping to see for years and who is, let's not gainsay it, rather more exciting than Rory McGrath, with all due respect. Anyway a couple of minutes later I had decided that I'd actually rather like to go and browse in a certain shop, and wouldn't you know it, Prof Hawking just happened to be there. I stayed over the other side of the shop, so I couldn't actually see him most of the time, but it was still pretty cool to know he was there. Though I was slightly perturbed to note that what came to my mind was not "wow, this man is one of the world's top minds" so much as "wow, this man has actually been on The Simpsons". What that says about me I think I'd rather not consider...

Notes:
Remember, Singing on the River tonight, 8:45, at Trinity.
Check out the Cambridge Purity Test. It's rather outdated and some of the questions and scoring are rather silly (apparently it's as great an achievement to know the Master's name as to have, erm, intromitted in a punt...) but hey, it wastes a minute or two. I'm 78% Cambridge, apparently.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

Haven't been to King's College Chapel either, and am keen for both as I now have way too much time on my hands. (And if you land up going all the way to Homerton, you can stop by the Botanical Garden.)

June 12, 2005 7:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My quotient is 91%, but it still tells me I've "resisted becoming sucked into the pit of ponceyness that is Cambridge". I'm not sure how it decides that.

The list of things to do was quite reassuringly familiar. I've even done some of them.

June 14, 2005 12:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home