A Nice Story With Dogs And Sunshine And Omelette
So what with Jenson's engine trouble, and Cambridge's absence of bilge pumps (well done to Goldie though), and sundry matters, it was shaping up to be a suboptimal day. But then I was talking to Shula online and we decided to go for a walk. Much as I enjoy the company of my termtime friends, it is nice when vacations arrive and I get to see a few extra people! So we stood on top of a long barrow on the Marlborough Downs, where we could see for miles as the sun began to set, and the wind was so strong I could almost lie back on it. You can't do that in London or Cambridge. And they're a bit short on crop circles, too.
Back to Shula's to drink tea, and marvel at the wonder of British Summer Time - 7:40 and still light. And the joy of Mrs Shula's hospitality. Do I like omelette? Do I like chips? There's some salad, too, and some fruit.
I even tried to get along with the dogs. Though I didn't give them any omelette.
We half-watched the same episode of The West Wing that I'd half-watched the other night, so now I have a vague idea what it was about. I'm afraid The West Wing has rather passed me by, by which I mean I've only ever half-watched one other episode.
And then we watched HP4. This had the advantage, compared with when I saw it with Katy at the Kino, that we could bitch about it throughout, rather than having to save up our anger til the end. There were, in fact, a few lines and scenes we rather liked, but just too many annoyances, from the small - why, why is Hermione's ball gown pink? Why, why did nobody think to change "Thanks, Nigel" to "Thanks, Dennis"? - to the rather larger. By which I mean the two main problems with the film, in reverse order... 2) Dumbledore. Just not right. 1) Voldemort. So very, very, very, very, wrong*.
And then I went home, which meant... late night Radio 3, hurrah. And, in fact, it was only as I heard Sir Richard Rodney Bennett's music from Gormenghast that I remembered I'd been thinking about going to hear Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man on Saturday. Ah well.
An excellent evening, and now I'm off to bed. Goodnight!
---
*Two obvious matters: i) Voldemort has red eyes and white skin. ii) His voice is high and cruel; he does not sound like David Attenborough.
Back to Shula's to drink tea, and marvel at the wonder of British Summer Time - 7:40 and still light. And the joy of Mrs Shula's hospitality. Do I like omelette? Do I like chips? There's some salad, too, and some fruit.
I even tried to get along with the dogs. Though I didn't give them any omelette.
We half-watched the same episode of The West Wing that I'd half-watched the other night, so now I have a vague idea what it was about. I'm afraid The West Wing has rather passed me by, by which I mean I've only ever half-watched one other episode.
And then we watched HP4. This had the advantage, compared with when I saw it with Katy at the Kino, that we could bitch about it throughout, rather than having to save up our anger til the end. There were, in fact, a few lines and scenes we rather liked, but just too many annoyances, from the small - why, why is Hermione's ball gown pink? Why, why did nobody think to change "Thanks, Nigel" to "Thanks, Dennis"? - to the rather larger. By which I mean the two main problems with the film, in reverse order... 2) Dumbledore. Just not right. 1) Voldemort. So very, very, very, very, wrong*.
And then I went home, which meant... late night Radio 3, hurrah. And, in fact, it was only as I heard Sir Richard Rodney Bennett's music from Gormenghast that I remembered I'd been thinking about going to hear Karl Jenkins' The Armed Man on Saturday. Ah well.
An excellent evening, and now I'm off to bed. Goodnight!
---
*Two obvious matters: i) Voldemort has red eyes and white skin. ii) His voice is high and cruel; he does not sound like David Attenborough.

7 Comments:
Ah.This makes me happy.
TCH
We (me&kt) thought Voldemort was one of the only good things in the film.
That's interesting... Did you find him scary or authentic? I thought he was neither.
we thought that he was the most realistic person, and we could imagine him as an evil genius, as opposed to dumbledore, who we didn't like.
But that's the thing, he's not a bond villain, he's barely human with a fractured soul. I didn't feel that a camp manner and a funny nose really captured that.
But at least we agree on Dumbledore!
The funny nose added a certain something! Although you're right about the camp not working.
Give the west wing a try, it's really quite good - you should be able to get hold of the early seasons pretty cheaply.
hmm, you've disappeared. let me guess - application forms?
Post a Comment
<< Home