Over nine months...
... now since graduation, and I've achieved shockingly little. For a start, I've earned about £1000, with no guarantee of any more in the foreseeable future. I can't be confident of finding myself a career at all, frankly, and if I do it looks like I'll be lucky to earn anything over £20,000. And part of me is rather disappointed at that, despite my espoused distaste for capitalism; some part of me still wants to be able to buy a cool house and [tongue in cheek] have the choice of private education for my children [/tongue in cheek].
In light of this, and a piece in today's Torygraph that notes that GPs earn on average £127,000 a year for a 4.5 day week, I'm wondering whether a medical degree might be a plan. I'd be willing to argue that I'm capable of it. But this is just musing, not by any means a decision. Anyone care to comment?
In light of this, and a piece in today's Torygraph that notes that GPs earn on average £127,000 a year for a 4.5 day week, I'm wondering whether a medical degree might be a plan. I'd be willing to argue that I'm capable of it. But this is just musing, not by any means a decision. Anyone care to comment?

33 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ignoring the rather disturbing swearing that's going on...
I don't think that doing a medical degree would be a good plan for you. Although you'd be intelectually capable of doing just fine, I thought you didn't like blood (I seem to remember you saying you faint or feel dizzy at the sight of it)?? Can you really see yourself cutting up a dead body??
Sorry Becca, I do try to moderate my language when writing here, but - well, do you remember in modern languages exams, where you have to answer in the language of the question?
Your point is a sensible one; I do indeed get dizzy at odd times. I'll think about that.
Hope you're having a good vacation!
Hmmm, even though with your degree you could do (for example) the shorter program Cambridge offers, it's still ages, costs a fair bit, and at the end of it, while you'll probably have a job, you just might be frustrated by the NHS-ness of it. 'course, you can always ask Dan whether it's worth it.
Absolutely; I suspect that I'm theoretically capable of it, but should/could only actually do it if I was really committed to the idea.
I suppose I'm just feeling a bit left out being a plain Mr...!
Welcome back, by the way :)
I'm just a Miss (not even a Ms).
Both my parents trained as doctors and both gave it up. Now my mom's in public health and my dad sells stuff; if they'd been doctors, my life would have been very different.
(And most nurses are old anyway.)
As you see, I've removed the original comment, and my ripostes. The basis for this is that posting that sort of comment anonymously is, essentially, trolling and I won't endorse it. That said, I won't lightly endorse censorship either so if Anonymous wants to re-post with his name or initials, I guess I'd let it stand.
Sherry: what's the significance of most nurses being old...?
Can't justify becoming a medical professional because of the cute young nurses :)
There's a Home Office job I'm applying for, don't know if you'll find it interesting but can tell you more in a non-public forum (don't want everybody applying for it!) if you want.
You do realise that you're basically posting anonymously too right? You go to lengths not to mention specifics about the area in which you live and the places/people that you visit. You don't put your surname on this site or any contact details. We have no way of verifying who you are from the information you put online.
Everyone posts anonymously to a degree in order to protect themselves. Anonymous posters could just as easily make up a name. Anyone that knows you could pick any one of a dozen people that you met in Cambridge and pretend to be them. You'd be none the wiser and neither would the person who's identity had been borrowed. The charade would eventually collapse, but by that point it wouldn't matter, the posts would have been left up uncensored.
Ah, forgot, unless one attaches a name or initials the post will be deleted.
Oh, don't be such a drama queen. Why would anyone bother pretending to be someone else in a forum like this? Anyway I don't want a debate about it; my blog, my rules.
For the sake of charity, would someone like to lend anonymous a dictionary so that (s)he can learn to distinguish between 'can' and 'should'? Cos as stupid comments go, that was top drawer. And unlike anyone who'd had the decency to sign their name, I feel little anxiety in launching an ad hominem attack given that, cipher like as (s)he is, it's difficult to imagine that we should treat anonymous like a person if (s)he refuses to acknowledge an identity.
TCH
I was, Jack, but I felt it was a bit petty and a bit unfair to those who didn't want the trouble of creating a username. I wasn't entirely convinced by the prediction by Anonymous that doing so would cause the withering and death of my blog, though.
Thing is, I don't object to all anonymous comments, nor all offensive comments - it's the convergence of the two that I'm not going to suffer.
How do you create a blog account without having a blog?
Oh, and it might be nice for mr a. to pass some information as to hwy he thinks he has the high ground. There is such a thing called politeness, and there are varying degrees of subscription to it. Some qualifiers might be in order here?
It's possible, Alex, but I don't know how. Jack should know, since it applies to him. Unless he has a secret blog. I think if I disallowed anonymous comments you'd get a message on the comment screen saying something along the lines of, "this blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please sign in or create a profile".
You can create a profile and have a blog which you don't show on your profile or just delete the blog you create to get the profile. I think that should work.
Cheers, Sherry. So it's not exactly hassle-free – which is why I don't want to have to resort to it – but then again not too much hassle either. Of course the point that the information provided could be false, still stands.
How was the use of "could" incorrect in anonymous' comments?
And Shulalalalala, how does anonymous' thyroid function come into this?
To be honest I side with a lot of the anonymous comments posted on here. They may be strongly worded but they generally make a valid point - if Stephen spent more time advancing his career and less time complaining about how it isn't advancing then he'd be better off.
If the information on this site isn't for public consumption then it shouldn't be posted. If no anonymous comments are desired then they should be disabled. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Allowing anonymous comments and then complaining and deleting them is a bit off. I appreciate censoring the language if necessary, but the whole message?
Invite anonymous comments and you'll get much more honest feedback. Disable anonymous comments and people that you know and trust will continue to leave polite messages.
Yuhuh.
hmmm.....
To address the point that is vaguely relevant to my comment- I would suggest that just because something 'could' happen doesn't mean that someone regulating it is considered ridiculous for hoping and assuming that it will not.
Take the following example:
It is possible that a man in a mask, going under the pseudonym 'V', could but a lot of organic explosive on an underground train, drive it under the Palace of Westminster, and explode it.
Let us leave aside the moral rectitude or otherwise of doing such a thing (as considered elsewhere).
I propose that somebody who designs and regulates the London Underground should not be dissuaded from doing this action because someone could do what V did. Because it could be a stupid system if everyone went out to undermine it.
Similarly, just because everyone could post under names of other people to create a false identity, and make a farce out of the whole system, is not to say that they should, or, to address the point directly, that Stephen is therefore wrong to hope that people wouldn't.
This is where anonymous's rather clever but fallacious argumentation falls in on itself. I refer anyone who wants a longer explanation to an elementary course in logical deduction. And probably a psychiatrist... ;-)
TCH
PS:
I am Spartacus...
Sorry.
TCH
I can't censor the language; the only thing I can do to comments is delete them.
Incidentally this Anonymous is the standard Anonymous, in case anyone's wondering.
I think I'm making more career progress than Anonymous gives me credit for. And even if I'm not, what business it is of his to criticise me? And no, I don't take it as a valid defence that I don't post here absolutely everything that happens. As for being 'for public consumption', the great majority of readers are good friends who either like hearing from me or like making helpful remarks. If anonymous members of the 'public' (and I don't believe for a moment that Anonymous has just randomly surfed in) don't want to do either of those, I can't see why they'd bother doing anything other than just surfing on by.
wel, you are putting all this up on a public blog Stephan, and allowing anon comments does give the oppotunity for people to have a go at you. it's not nice, but as toby put it, it could happen. You do seem to being doing something with your life, and blogging it it interesting. It would be interesting for anon. to declare some relevant information to see is (s)he has at least an educated opinion, but still, that may have happened. Why hide behind anonymity. Where does it get you?
Well, if there was such a thing as a private blog, I'd be somewhat inclined to use that instead. To be fair, I don't advertise! This isn't linked from my profile, isn't listed in Google blogsearch, and isn't - now - linked from my facebook page.
Yeah, I can't understand the point of hiding behind anonymity, except to be deliberately, erm, challenging.
There are blogs which can be password protected but I think they cost money - don't remember which providers offer them but a wuick google search should bring them up.
Also, if you get rid of blogger comments and use haloscan, you can edit comment text as well as delete it fully. You can also block IP addresses from posting. I've used it on occasion to block nasty people.
Post a Comment
<< Home