Sunday, March 26, 2006

Pedantic Intervention

Some people appear to have gained the impression that the new top rate of vehicle excise duty is a '4x4 tax'. In fact, Band G applies to all vehicles with carbon dioxide [anyone know how to do subscript?] emissions over 225g/km. This, in fact, includes the largest-engined versions of almost all cars of 'medium' (e.g. Ford Mondeo) size or above, and most 'sports' cars except the small roadsters. The really villanous SUVs are of course very definitely in this band - e.g. Range Rover, up to 376g/km; Porsche Cayenne, up to 380g/km. But it's important to realise that CO2 [thanks Andy] emissions of 4x2 and 4x4 cars are far from a bimodal distribution. And that a lot of 'ordinary' cars have four-wheel drive, as well as SUVs. And that a Mini Cooper uses slightly more fuel and emits only 10g/km less carbon dioxide than a diesel-powered Honda CR-V. And so forth.

Anyway, innovation and creativity. Really must do some work on that. I'd probably be feeling better had I not eaten that seriously-expired Quorn for dinner.

---

I've been trying not to be a pedant about this too, but I was watching some detective show last night, and we were expected to believe that the junior detective, who looked about 20 and wore a baseball cap, not only drove around in a £70,000 Honda NSX, but found a customised Nissan 300ZX - which must be worth all of, what, £5,000? - incredibly exciting in comparison. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's simple balderdash...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

re your innovation and creativeness.... how about for your part two project? surely you weren't told exactly what to do, therefore some of that would class as creativity/innovitivity?? (were you? I don't know...) Probably not a good idea, but I tried!

March 27, 2006 9:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CO< sub >2< /sub >
But blogger says it won't accept the tag (perhaps that's just in the comments though).

March 27, 2006 1:15 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Becca: Trouble was, we were using standard tests and standard questionnaires. Not much room for innovation. But I'll think about it.

Andy: I'll give it a go...

March 27, 2006 1:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about this blog? I think your writing here demonstrates creativity. There are many different ways to be creative - here, you're crafting little stories, in a way, and playing with a format in which you can amuse, inform and provoke. I'd say that was pretty creative, so don't just dismiss it!

March 27, 2006 5:36 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

You could be on to something; I shall certainly consider it. I need to get past this frustrating stage of not having an idea what to write about...

The idea that I 'amuse, inform and provoke' is quite entertaining. I wonder how the three compare in their relative frequencies...

March 27, 2006 5:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I threw out my quorn and bought some new, doing what you say you wished you'd done. A Lasagne is in the oven as i type

March 27, 2006 7:11 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Oh, you rakish man. Think of your pension fund. Anyway, sounds good :) I haven't actually tried making lasagne. Yet.

March 27, 2006 10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home