General & Specific
So it’s a full year since I was revising for my finals, and I've been wondering whether this year hasn't been harder than the last. OK, obviously my degree was much more demanding in terms of intense mental activity, but the post-graduation self-promotion phase is characterised by a need to keep on, month after month, trying to remain focused, to keep up enthusiasm, to handle rejection, and to believe that it’ll all be worthwhile in the end, that there will be a point to life, and so on and so forth. Some of these things, of course, are part of the undergraduate experience too. But at university, you have:
1) feedback every few days or weeks: someone saying ‘this was good’ or ‘it would have been better if…’. Improving something without any feedback as to what's wrong with it is extraordinarily difficult in comparison.
2) a clearly-defined timescale and the reasonably safe knowledge that, if you make the effort, things will turn out OK.
3) hundreds of other people going through the same thing, and the knowledge that thousands have been through it before and out the other side.
So, following that little résumé, and more specifically, could those who know what I’m talking about possibly give me their opinion on the current potential opportunity? I need to decide fairly soon whether I'd accept their offer. If this is too cryptic, do email me!
1) feedback every few days or weeks: someone saying ‘this was good’ or ‘it would have been better if…’. Improving something without any feedback as to what's wrong with it is extraordinarily difficult in comparison.
2) a clearly-defined timescale and the reasonably safe knowledge that, if you make the effort, things will turn out OK.
3) hundreds of other people going through the same thing, and the knowledge that thousands have been through it before and out the other side.
So, following that little résumé, and more specifically, could those who know what I’m talking about possibly give me their opinion on the current potential opportunity? I need to decide fairly soon whether I'd accept their offer. If this is too cryptic, do email me!

5 Comments:
I emailled you (though before this) but you didn't reply :(
Given that it's a plan with a natural opt-out clause written in, my gut reaction is that it would be a good idea to go with it, partly because I think it can only improve prospects and gain you experience in the long term, and partly because I think there comes a point where taking a step away from somewhere you've been for a while, even if you're not certain it's in the right direction, becomes the healthiest thing to do.
But obviously don't think I don't realise how complicated the decision is or that I can't see the other side of the argument.
TCH
Patience, you, I shall reply soon... Other things got in the way, like sleep.
I agree with Toby.
Will email you!
Post a Comment
<< Home