Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Checking In

Just in case you're wondering, I haven't, as Sherry feared, been kidnapped by the Easter bunny. I've actually been doing a fair amount of stuff in the last couple of weeks, but not much that I wanted to share in detail with the anonymi. In short, I've been travelling around to interviews and such, then I had a concert, and now I'm spending a couple of days back at the spreadsheet.

Saw an advert on TV this morning for Busch Gardens. Apparently you can "experience the heart of Africa in the heart of Florida". Which is convenient cos, y'know, Florida's so much closer than Africa.

---

In other news, Kirstie & Phil tell us that the top two places to invest in property are Oxford and Cambridge, in that order, and that - terrifyingly - London has the highest crime rate in the country. Which means it's worse even than Manchester (3rd). Maybe I really don't want to get a job...! (No, I really do... but maybe I should be selective about location. But then, beggars ≠ choosers...)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what you probably mean, (and I do without mathematical symbols here, which makes the following unnecessarily long) is:

Let B be set of all beggars. Let C be the set of all choosers. The intersection of B and C is the empty set.

But what do I know?

;-)

TCH

April 25, 2006 10:34 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Well yes, you're quite right, and I went for an easy oversimplification that I knew to be incorrect. But I'm not the one with an MMath.

April 25, 2006 10:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But if B intersection C does contain elements, then hypothesising that B intersection C tends to the empty set over time, due to lack of resources for the aforesaid elements, simple experiments can be conducted to test this, and bring defined areas of unertainty into the whole discussion. This would allow Stephen to choose whether it could be profitable being one of those members, for career purposes.

shutting up now... :)

April 26, 2006 10:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course London has a higher crime rate than Manchester. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH MANCHESTER. Don't judge til you've been there, it's boarderline racism.

April 27, 2006 11:33 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Don't shout at me, you oik, and learn how to spell 'borderline'. Clearly you haven't had the conversations I've had with people from Manchester.

April 27, 2006 11:47 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

(And that's not to mention your tenuous grasp on the concept of 'racism'...)

April 27, 2006 11:47 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

... Aside from the stories, I don't actually have anything against Manchester. Indeed I'd rather visit there than Nottingham - my studious avoidance of which is well known... Hehe. I'll stop talking now.

April 27, 2006 12:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, that last commen is the way to start a feud, Stephen... ;-)

I had a rather good time in Manchester when I went to see my brother, but he did reveal at the weekend that he sometimes has to decide whether to take his passport out with him based on the relative probabilities of getting mugged and getting ID-ed. That this isn't a foregone conclusion did lead me to raise my eyebrows a bit.

TCH

TCH

April 27, 2006 12:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's any help, I've never been mugged when I've visited Manchester. Found it a bit dull and ugly, to be honest. Nottingham, on the other hand, was full of pirates and vomiting cellists. What more could you want?

April 27, 2006 1:56 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

I thought Nottingham had the worst crime rate in the country? Still, I live in Luton. People in glass houses...

April 27, 2006 7:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Le sigh.

Yes Nottingham has a very high crime rate but it's not spread out evenly, some places are very bad and some are downright respectable. Like pretty much any city (including London and almost certainly Manchester) it's one of those things where the very deprived and very(/relatively) priveledged are jammed together like so many sardines. If you're sensible you can generally avoid most nastiness. (Although drunken cellists of one kind or another do seem to follow me around the country :))

And for what it's worth every time a member of my family has been to Manchester they've been mugged. Small sample selection I know but :P

April 28, 2006 12:11 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

And when I note that Miranda isn't the only one to have reported that exact story, perhaps Anonymous (not the usual one) might understand why I'm so wary of the place!

M: maybe someday I will come and see Nottingham. I really did intend to last time...

April 28, 2006 1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home