Friday, March 03, 2006

The Friendly Monster is not, in fact, my friend too

News, news, the Facebook Song video is now available. I know it's infantile, but it made me laugh. I guess I like the fact that it'll make no sense to most people. The song's proving to be something of an Ohrwurm too; a friend who hasn't even gone up to university yet, much less joined the facebook, reports that she had it in her head for days.

On an unrelated note (so far as I can tell), I've been wondering for years what John Hammond meant when he said to Dennis Nedry, "I don't blame people for their mistakes, Dennis; but I do ask that they pay for them". Any ideas?

Which brings me to a couple of 1B HPS points: First, (and I raised this with Alex a couple of years ago), isn't it possible that the American judge who said, "three generations of imbeciles are an enough," actually said, "three generations of imbeciles aren't enough"? Second, which I've more recently thought of: that 17th-century thing about not trusting the testimony of such men as 'divers' - given previous spelling conventions and the conspicuous lack of SCUBA gear in 17th-century London, wouldn't one naturally read that word as 'diverse'...? I don't question what Schaffer and Hopwood were telling us, but I do think it helps to illustrate the importance of treating historical evidence critically.

Erm, anyway. Think I'll go to bed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost certain he said that "three generations of imbiciles are enough." considering it was delivered in his opinion that allowed a third generation 'feeble minded woman' to be sterilised.

Why would it be "aren't"?

He is also quoted as saying that "Our test of truth is a reference to either a present or imagined future majority in favour of our view." Looks like he failed that one.

Still I think eugenics has a lot going for it...

Although perhaps it wasn't the best decision in that case:
http://books.google.com/books?ie=UTF-8&id=9mCI_V2HAh0C&psp=wp&lpg=PA79&pg=PA79&sig=IqJv2c9OnwSGlboNbj26QjIHv3c

March 04, 2006 12:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home