Hmm...
Some fell on stony ground, I see. No matter: four fresh comments to tempt you:
1. It occurred to me that there are lots of films about graduating from high school and going to start a brave new life at college, but much fewer about graduating from college and going to start a brave new life as a salaried employee. And I rather suspect that those in the latter category would tend to be less sympathetic, too. Or perhaps my perception is skewed by my tendency to watch immature films. [Pauses to inspect DVD collection featuring comedy, animated movies for children, and Harry Potter] Of course it's not necessary to have a film to show you the way at all points of life, but it might be nice. Some friends were expounding the other day on a theory that whatever the life event, one can find succour in Dawson's Creek, to which I adopted a standard smile/nod/make-sarcastic-remark approach. But who knows, maybe they're right.
2. Through the wonders of the facebook I still have more group memberships than I do friends - officially. I was pleased to discover that a Radio 4 group has already been established, but I can't find a Radio 3 group so might have to start one myself. (The Dead Ringers "Quiet in here, isn't it?" is a necessary profile feature). In addition I am now 'friends' with a girl to whom I'm pretty sure I've never spoken, but in whose presence I might have spoken to someone else in about 1998. As good a reason as any, I suppose.
3. Some guy on Today this morning was explaining how, although most people thought them ugly, he actually found modern windmills rather beautiful. Which surprised me somewhat because I'd rather assumed that everyone found modern windmills beautiful. Though I will add a caveat, inasmuch as I'm not sure I'd find them beautiful if they were all over the place - offshore wind, yes; domestic/office-building-scale distributed generation, yes; planting windmills all over the green-and-pleasant, perhaps not. Anyone agree? Or even care?
4. Most importantly, at least in the short term, a sad farewell to Linda Smith. I didn't understand what Eddie Mair meant on PM when he first mentioned a 'tribute' to her, but it became clear soon enough. Very unsatisfactory.
1. It occurred to me that there are lots of films about graduating from high school and going to start a brave new life at college, but much fewer about graduating from college and going to start a brave new life as a salaried employee. And I rather suspect that those in the latter category would tend to be less sympathetic, too. Or perhaps my perception is skewed by my tendency to watch immature films. [Pauses to inspect DVD collection featuring comedy, animated movies for children, and Harry Potter] Of course it's not necessary to have a film to show you the way at all points of life, but it might be nice. Some friends were expounding the other day on a theory that whatever the life event, one can find succour in Dawson's Creek, to which I adopted a standard smile/nod/make-sarcastic-remark approach. But who knows, maybe they're right.
2. Through the wonders of the facebook I still have more group memberships than I do friends - officially. I was pleased to discover that a Radio 4 group has already been established, but I can't find a Radio 3 group so might have to start one myself. (The Dead Ringers "Quiet in here, isn't it?" is a necessary profile feature). In addition I am now 'friends' with a girl to whom I'm pretty sure I've never spoken, but in whose presence I might have spoken to someone else in about 1998. As good a reason as any, I suppose.
3. Some guy on Today this morning was explaining how, although most people thought them ugly, he actually found modern windmills rather beautiful. Which surprised me somewhat because I'd rather assumed that everyone found modern windmills beautiful. Though I will add a caveat, inasmuch as I'm not sure I'd find them beautiful if they were all over the place - offshore wind, yes; domestic/office-building-scale distributed generation, yes; planting windmills all over the green-and-pleasant, perhaps not. Anyone agree? Or even care?
4. Most importantly, at least in the short term, a sad farewell to Linda Smith. I didn't understand what Eddie Mair meant on PM when he first mentioned a 'tribute' to her, but it became clear soon enough. Very unsatisfactory.

1 Comments:
Just because people don't comment on an entry it doesn't necessarily mean that thoughts from said seed aren't germinating inside their minds.
Did I get away with that extended metaphor? I didn't, did I? Damn.
Anyway, since I'm here...
I find modern windmills beautiful, and had always assumed that their combination of sleekness, eco-friendliness and symmetry was a surefire winner, but my step-father apparently finds them disturbing. Each to his own.
Linda Smith died? She's not even one of those celebrity old people, like Jimmy Saville or the Queen. Not at all impressed.
For college onwards films, see, for example, Garden State. Though I suspect part of the issue is that college, unlike high school, is a less ubiquitous experience. People's lives are more hetergeneous by 21. I'll think more on this though.
TCH
Post a Comment
<< Home