Friday, February 10, 2006

Miscellany nochmal

1) What does one do with a Scottish five pound note? I tried to buy a birthday card with it but to no avail, and the car-park pay-station thingy wouldn't have it either. In the end I sold it to Mum for five English pounds.

2) What does one do with a cat once one has run it over? I ask not because I ran over a cat, but because I saw one on a grass verge. Which was nice.

2a) I hear you're allowed to pick up roadkill (for eating) as long as you didn't run it over yourself. Is this true?

3) I got me a groovy reversible belt. Though I wasn't as enthuastic about it as the vaguely-foreign checkout guy. "That's a nice belt dude; I like things like that, you're like "is it brown? is it black?" That's £14.99, boss". Never sure what to say in such situations except "yeah, right, yeah" [vaguely à la Bill Bailey].

4) I drove about sixty miles today, which is unusual indeed. In the last half-hour-or-so leg, I spotted four people driving whilst holding cellphones. Given that I only looked at a small subset of drivers (admittedly those who were holding one arm at a funny angle), and that only a small subset of drivers-who-phone will be phoning at any particular time, there's clearly still a big problem out there.

5) Whilst distracted by thought (4), I lost concentration for a moment, accelerated to keep up with the traffic ahead, and found myself reaching 37mph in a 30-zone. The fact that everyone else was doing 37 doesn't excuse that, of course. A half-mile or so later, (now doing 40 in a 40), were a bunch of police with [oh-so-necessary] BMW X5s. They seemed to be pulling over white vans, which I fancied might be part of a missing-persons investigation but Dad suggested was more likely to be a safety-and-documentation check. Anyway it made me realise how easy it would be to be caught for speeding, even if you're totally neurotic about not doing so.

6) We had a go at fixing the phantom-signalling (the car took me down side-streets a couple of times today, since I thought it was the safest thing to do given that I was signalling thus), with the take-the-cover-off-and-spray-WD40-on-it school of repair. Time will tell.

7) Oh yes, I saw some anti-fur protesters too, which was cool.

8) But best of all, I was out of the house for seven hours, which meant seven hours without food :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

Scottish five pound note: remind them that they are legally obliged to accept it as it is perfectly good tender. If they refuse, ask to speak to the manager.

February 12, 2006 11:41 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Not that I wish to disagree... I skimmed a couple of pages that Google turned up and it looks like Scottish notes aren't actually legal tender in England, but they are generally acceptable. Not sure what that says about obligation, though.

February 12, 2006 3:26 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

That's odd because when I was working at Wimbledon, we were briefed that it was. Of course, this was a good 2.5years ago now so things may have changed.

I shall embark on some legal research :)

February 12, 2006 6:55 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

I realised later, once tucked up in bed that my line of enquiry should have been to do with how you came about that Scottish note.

February 13, 2006 1:46 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

In my change in a shop in Bath. I did wonder whether I really wanted it but didn't say anything because 1) I wasn't sure whether Scottish notes were a problem, 2) I don't tend to say things, and 3) the staff seemed to be having trouble already, dealing with the fact that a previous (departed) customer's £100 card transaction didn't seem to have worked...

February 13, 2006 8:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home