Monday, November 07, 2005

For once...

... I'm actually glad I wasn't in CUMS or indeed CUSO. Either would've taken up considerable swathes of my time, but since the impression I get is that members are - albeit very well trained - cogs in a big scary machine, I can't imagine it being the kind of experience that'd impress on a CV. It's somewhat disheartening that whenever examples of good extra-curricular activities are given - student journalism, sport, being president of things, music is never cited. Which is a shame.

In other news, two occurrences of the word 'suave' (Dan Radcliffe on Friday, Shula on Saturday) have had me thinking of a favourite Family Guy scene: Peter and Chris are on their way to the TV studios. A pony-tailed media exec walks past them. "Ooh, look at Mr. Suave," says Peter, sarcastically. The guy gets into a car and drives away, revealing that his parking space is 'reserved for Jerry Suave' and leaving open the possibility that Peter's sarcasm was accidental...

... much like in The Simpsons, when Homer says, "Well then, everything's wrapped up in a neat little package! ... No, really, I meant it. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic." Fortuitously, that very episode is scheduled for 6pm today on C4. Who'd've thought it?

----

Furthermore...

1) Is subtle humour alive and well amongst the employees of consultancy firms, or are they so repressed by the yoke that they don't notice what they're writing? Slightly abbreviated from a profile in the careers guide...
During a big project, I'm usually done by 8pm. In between cases you get to work on your personal development and areas that interest you - which means a 5:30 finish is far more common.
Heehee.

2) I think the way careers guides and brochures consistently favour photos of the [only?] attractive, healthy-looking employees is a rather blatant way to sway people... "Oh look, there's an attractive young blonde woman working at this investment bank, they can't be evil". I have here a prospectus from a major Bristol law-firm. Instead of various talking-heads profiles by its trainees, there are just two full-page photographs: one of a clean-cut (and possibly gloss-lipped) young man who could be Nigel Havers' grandson, the other an implausibly pretty young woman looking like Holly Valance's seventeen-year-old sister. I return once more to The Simpsons:
Lisa: This is a rather shameless promotion...
Bart: Worked on me!
Lisa: Me too.
3) I saw a sandwich shop yesterday that had decided that "panini's" alone amongst all the plurals on its window merited an apostrophe. Because it's exotic and foreign? Because it ends in i?

4) Shouldn't an 'Assessment Centre' be a place, rather than an event?

5 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

Whether a place or an event, I am useless at them.

November 07, 2005 4:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think it could be because of the rather ungainly implication of a word with the letters p...nis? Trying to make it less obvious?

I'd love to believe that someone in the company managed to slip that gentle irony under the nose of the gormless HR department, but I find it easier to believe they knew not what they said.

TCH

November 07, 2005 6:28 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Was that (3), (1), T?

November 07, 2005 6:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trinal unity. Ah, the mystery of the Christian Gods.

Yes.

TCH

November 07, 2005 7:05 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Christ's Voices quote coming up: "It's a triplet, Millar. Three in one. Like God."

November 07, 2005 9:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home