Monday, October 31, 2005

First things first...

... Hallowe'en? Bah.

"Shall we go cycling?" asked Andy. "Nah," quoth I. So here I am, twenty miles later. We went back to tackle the Ridgeway again, but no sooner had I stepped from the car than I remembered what it was that I'd forgotten. Suspect is hatless, repeat, hatless. So I had a ready-made excuse not to go racing down slopes at 30mph :) We soon discovered that although the day was dry, there were 'puddles' - perhaps more like small lakes - almost as deep as the bike's wheels. I've never been paddling on a bike before. It was quite exciting. In fact today was a much better day for cycling than the last time we went out on the Ridgeway; some sun, no rain, but not too warm. I rather enjoyed it, despite - or perhaps because of - getting muddier than I could possibly ever have been before. (Even more astoundingly, I've washed my clothes and they're actually clean! Tomorrow I'll have to tackle the bike...) At the end of the ride we met a nice man from BBC Radio Wiltshire who asked us where we'd been and expressed his wonder that we were wearing T-shirts in such weather. Personally I wondered why (as seemed to be the case) he'd been meeting a nice upper-middle-aged woman on a windy hillside on the Ridgeway (cooking up some political exposé, perhaps), and Andy wondered why the two other occupants of the car park had arrived in separate cars. Nudge, nudge, etc. There was also a guy in a Lamborghini, which was interesting. It looked more like a Hot Wheels toy than a truly impressive piece of engineering to me, and I have to say that I suspect having spent at least £117,000 I'd have difficulty shutting up the voice in my head that speculated on how many starving children I could've saved instead. As well as the voices of onlookers speculating on for what I was compensating. Anyway, if I had the money I'd probably take the third way of putting it in the bank and admiring it, and maybe buy some biscuits from Oxfam to assuage my conscience. Damn fair-weather ethics... L'anyhoodle, we made it to the car just before the light departed and the rain arrived. It really was grim. Stupid GMT. Mind you my bike's already a lot less muddy than it was... So, in conclusion, not a bad way to waste a day :)

---
In other news, although I just bought it at Fopp for a fiver, Monsoon Wedding is now a mere £3.97 at Amazon. Hurrah :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy went home for the weekend?

I don't know... wish i could go off cycling with my proper bike... essay to write tho..

November 01, 2005 9:02 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Indeed. It was his birthday, after all. Lately I've become aware that going home for the weekend is actually something that people from other universities do quite a lot!

Since I understood your comment you clearly haven't become an elaborate-speaking management geek yet... :)

November 01, 2005 10:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home