I have returned. Again!
If you're reading this, chances are I was with you this weekend and thus needn't tell you that I was in Birmingham. We didn't see or hear any rioting, thankfully. And incidentally it would take a totally crass comedian to make any comment like "we didn't have a riot for twenty years until your lot turned up".
I'm aware that this blog has become something of a freakish sideshow even for my close friends - so goodness knows what those mysterious unidentified and semi-identified characters think... I know who you are and where you live, muahahaha! Which is to say, I don't. L'anyhoodle, in light of this I shall try not to write a detailed analysis of the weekend... (I shall, nevertheless, try to finish the Blog-of-the-North, hopefully today)
I do however have one or two thoughts (as Austin Powers said to Steven Spielberg):
1) Go and see Corpse Bride, it's superb. Particularly if you see it in a cinema the size of an aircraft hangar which you've paid £3.50 to enter. Three-pounds-fifty!! At the Bath Odeon they charged me £6.50 at the same time on the same day of the week, and that was for a cinema not much bigger and better than you could get at home...
2) Long car journeys practically fly by when your companion has brought Disney CDs. But be careful to remember to drive whilst singing along...
3) I've been looking through the facebook this morning (I'm still in there, look... I wonder if there exists a better photo of me yet...). The freshers are just too stupid; a lot of them have their year set as 2005, which as any fule kno is our year... theirs is 2008 in most cases. It's a rather melancholy experience seeing the n00bs taking possession of 'my' college, and I suppose on balance I'm glad to be away from the place. All perfectly natural, of course, but I do wonder if perhaps it means I'd be better off finding a 'proper' job rather than contemplating a return to Cambridge either as a student or a research assistant. More specifically, Martin appears to have been replaced at Z33 by someone a lot more feminine, young and musical (does this mean you can get a piano in those rooms?)... so it's probably just as well I'm no longer living next door.
I never really imagined that there was anyone older than university students, other than Old People such as parents… so it’s a bit of a shock to find myself growing up even further…
Anyway now that I've stirred up painful memories / nostalgia, I think I'll play some violin, which is guaranteed to stir up more!
I'm aware that this blog has become something of a freakish sideshow even for my close friends - so goodness knows what those mysterious unidentified and semi-identified characters think... I know who you are and where you live, muahahaha! Which is to say, I don't. L'anyhoodle, in light of this I shall try not to write a detailed analysis of the weekend... (I shall, nevertheless, try to finish the Blog-of-the-North, hopefully today)
I do however have one or two thoughts (as Austin Powers said to Steven Spielberg):
1) Go and see Corpse Bride, it's superb. Particularly if you see it in a cinema the size of an aircraft hangar which you've paid £3.50 to enter. Three-pounds-fifty!! At the Bath Odeon they charged me £6.50 at the same time on the same day of the week, and that was for a cinema not much bigger and better than you could get at home...
2) Long car journeys practically fly by when your companion has brought Disney CDs. But be careful to remember to drive whilst singing along...
3) I've been looking through the facebook this morning (I'm still in there, look... I wonder if there exists a better photo of me yet...). The freshers are just too stupid; a lot of them have their year set as 2005, which as any fule kno is our year... theirs is 2008 in most cases. It's a rather melancholy experience seeing the n00bs taking possession of 'my' college, and I suppose on balance I'm glad to be away from the place. All perfectly natural, of course, but I do wonder if perhaps it means I'd be better off finding a 'proper' job rather than contemplating a return to Cambridge either as a student or a research assistant. More specifically, Martin appears to have been replaced at Z33 by someone a lot more feminine, young and musical (does this mean you can get a piano in those rooms?)... so it's probably just as well I'm no longer living next door.
I never really imagined that there was anyone older than university students, other than Old People such as parents… so it’s a bit of a shock to find myself growing up even further…
Anyway now that I've stirred up painful memories / nostalgia, I think I'll play some violin, which is guaranteed to stir up more!

4 Comments:
That is a nice photo of you - I have a number of set photos in which I think I look good and use them for everything!
Oddly enough, I'm not sure I really knew what you thought of the film, beyond the fact that you seemed to enjoy it, until you just said. There was entirely too much going on this weekend for me to take it all in. Anyway, yes, it was superb.
And the image of you and Katy singing Disney songs at the tops of your voices all the way home also delights me greatly. The thought of you trying to sing 'Friend Like Me' at full speed and concentrating so hard that you drive into a tree, less so.
Thanks for coming.
TCh
Sherry: thanks :) it's the best one of me I know of, but it'd be nice to find a better or equal (and more recent) one! Maybe somebody took one this weekend. I have noticed the distinct similarity between your blogger and facebook photos!
Toby: luckily (if disappointingly) the only Aladdin song on three discs was 'One Jump Ahead' :)
There's one that's on my passport/driving license/uni ID - Dan says it looks nothing like me. (It's not the one on blogger/facebook etc.) Unfortunately all these pictures are getting old now - good pictures are few and far between.
Post a Comment
<< Home