Friday, October 28, 2005

Students Ye Be Warned...

... Even if you're a First Year, you should probably already be planning your career, applying for internships, acting all grown-up and stuff. Nobody told me this, or if they did I didn't believe them. It turns out - or so is the impression given by careers guides - that in fact the main point of being at university is to get a big impressive job at the end of it, not - as the university would have you believe - to spend three years becoming a junior researcher in your field. Of course if you do spend three years learning stuff, not captaining victorious sporting sides or leading teams of llamas across the Andes or spending your summers in City internships, and then you don't apply for a PhD at the end of it... well I'm not sure what happens to you. You fall through the gaps, or something.

So, yeah. I guess those students who were admitted deliberately rather than by a clerical error should find themselves able to 1) do their actual work 2) lead proudly a variety of societies 3) fix up internships and careers 4) go out to Cindies cos That's What Students Do. Gosh.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an interesting reflection on the human brain, or possibly just my attention deficit that it took me about five minutes to read that, because I'd get through about three words before my eyes would *zing* back and focus on the word llama.

Actually, on second thought, it probably is just me.

Hehe.... llamas....

October 28, 2005 12:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nobody told me this, or if they did I didn't believe them."

Well, I for one thought that you did believe us, as you would proceed to get very upset and not talk with us for 6 months after we pointed these things out to you.

Not to worry, I find your blog pretty entertaining and was honestly disappointed when you didn't post for a few days. If you had a job you'd probably post less often and hence reduce my quality of life ever so slightly.

October 28, 2005 4:19 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Gosh, and I don't know who either of you are... stupid Private IP Address.

1) Hehe, llamas.

2) Depending on who you are, you may have a point. I suppose I wasn't willing voluntarily to step off the edge of the map, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming (perhaps literally). Here, indeed, there be monsters. Of a corporate and also a psychological variety.

October 28, 2005 6:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't wikipedia great. Firstly you discover such joys as someone kidnapping a llama and sticking it on a precipice just so they can get a picture of Machu Picchu with a llama in it. I think it might be stuffed.

May I also recommend everyone join PALS

(http://www.palsllamas.com/)

Thats the Partially Active Llama Society, in case you were wondering.

Finally, I'm sure I know who Number 2 is (a Cabbage Patch Kid). However who says zing, and has a thing for llamas. Who knows.

Guessing who posted on your blog is both fun and informative.

October 29, 2005 10:56 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Who does say zing? Frankly I think most of my friends have a thing for llamas. You're not suggesting Lynda Snell of The Archers is here, too?

October 29, 2005 11:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was me who said *zing*.

Just to clear things up.

October 30, 2005 12:51 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Well according to the statcounter nobody was here today at 12:51, but if you were then I know eight people you aren't...

October 30, 2005 5:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home