Bah
The careers guide is doing its usual job of putting me off all the careers it contains. Just been reading the profile of management consultancy - and I'm sure it's not distasteful just because it's written by an Oxford grad... She seems to take great delight in the constant air travel - pretty much the worst environmental crime an individual is likely to commit - in particular. What real justification can there be for working Monday to Thursday on the Continent and then returning to the London office for Fridays?! She's particularly pleased with the weekend when the 'whole team' flew to Barcelona instead of London. Ooh, I can just hear the braying of the Tarquins and Lizzies cooking up that he-larious ruse...
You see, I think a lot of the trouble is not necessarily the job itself but the people and means by which they promote it. Oh and please, the verb 'to be staffed', as in 'when I was staffed in Berlin'. What on earth is wrong with 'working', or even 'stationed' (bit military, perhaps?). Incidentally, someone (Toby) help me out - is 'to be staffed' transitive or intransitive?
You see, I think a lot of the trouble is not necessarily the job itself but the people and means by which they promote it. Oh and please, the verb 'to be staffed', as in 'when I was staffed in Berlin'. What on earth is wrong with 'working', or even 'stationed' (bit military, perhaps?). Incidentally, someone (Toby) help me out - is 'to be staffed' transitive or intransitive?

5 Comments:
It's transitive.
Agreed, although I wouldn't be surprised if in the kind of babble you (Stephen, not Alex) have been reading there's some intransitive use of it. I staff, you staff, we all staff together...
TCH
Gosh, how confusing. I tried looking up 'transitive' and 'intransitive' in the dictionary but it did little to illuminate the definition. How do people know these things?
Just listening to Today; some police guy was talking about road safety and the need to 'upskill' drivers. Eugh. Makes me want to run away screaming...
Regardless of the Teutonic sounding compound word issue, 'upskill' begs the question, "You needed to clarify you were skilling them up? There's such a thing as downskilling?"
...-This year in my job as tea-maker and photocopier, I was downskilled in the following areas, to make me more efficient to the company. Rational thought and free enquiry- downskilled. Ability to question decisions- downskilled. Delight in humanity- downskilled...
TCH
Post a Comment
<< Home