I'm...
... in big trouble, aren't I? It's like my life just stopped at graduation (if not before, that is). I suspect now that I should have just applied for a PhD, not worried about my motivation, or whether I really wanted to do it. I'm sure I could've stuck at it even if I wasn't sure, and it would've given me a purpose for three years even if I'd've been no better off at the end of it. Then again I'm not convinced I could've bluffed my way through the selection process. Going back to do a PhD I'm not sure about is a different kettle of fish, mind... I really don't know what to do, or even how to go about deciding.

11 Comments:
Become a sub-editor - it involves being a professional Pedant. You'd like it, until you had to sit in the corner rocking backwards and forwards saying "The words are wrong. Wrong. Their all wrong. Im even making spelling mistakes in my speech. Aaaaaaaarrrrrg"
Or just go on Jobseekers allowance. That £44 really stretches if you dont eat meat, drink alcohol or smoke. You might even be able to get a cardboard box with insulation
Aaargh, more scary anonymous commenters! I bet you're not even in London. Anyway, to business...
you mean pedant? they're? I'm? Aaaaaaaarrrrrgh?
I think it would taken someone especially charitable to describe me as a Jobseeker... and I do have a lot of cardboard boxes already you know :) NB eating meat just means one eats even more of everything else...
In Chemistry at least, the groups aren't given there budgets until November and hence don't know how many PhD students they're taking on.
I was told that it was probably best to send out e-mails in early December to groups that you were interested. Ask if it's OK to come and meet the supervisor, reading a few of his papers before arriving so that you've something to talk about.
Obsession requires that I first say "their!!"...
Now then, Chemistry suggests you should be Miranda, yet you're not. Now, how to tell if you are who I think you are...
... To your point, you're right, it's not too late to apply for a PhD in 2006, though I'm no nearer to knowing whether I want to do one and if so in what than I was six months ago. Probably further, in fact. If I wanted to try for an MPhil in HPS - which I keep thinking of but never following up - I think time is starting to press.
Do calendar factories hold any meaning for you?
Huh? Whaaa? Nothing to do with me guvna. And despite what some people may suggest, I'm not in fact the *only* chemistry student in the world.
Well my dear M, you're the only regular reader who's also a Chemist. But as I said, I'd already concluded that it wasn't you. I have a shrewd idea which IP is the commentator's, but less of an idea to whom it belongs! Creepy? Me?
Just to confuse you even more, the first and second anonymous posts on these comments were clearly from different people. I would never use 'their' incorrectly unless to mock you.
But I think the person who posted the second, practical and altogether more mundane post probably worked in a calendar factory and should be burnt alive in about a month
Well I didn't think they were... Are there now three anonymous commentators on this thread? I'm getting ever so confused. Frustratingly, all I know about the third is Windows XP, Firefox 1.0.7 ... but I can rule out about five people.
I can start disallowing anonymous comments, you know...!
So it would appear that my identity has been revealed.
But who was the original anonymous commentator? Perhaps the subtle mix of bitterness and humour indicates Mr Cotterrell?
Guy, I knew it! So you're the second anonymous commentator? I agree with you about the first, although the geography wasn't specific enough to really tell (and I don't actually know where he is these days). As for the third, I suppose it was the same person as the first?
Incidentally I heard on Radio 4 today that jobseekers' allowance is actually rather more than that - £57, I think.
... What an ass I am, I've finally realised what "should be burnt alive in about a month" means; which pretty much confirms young Sarky as First & Third (no, not that F&T...) - though if he worked it out without the benefit of knowing which college you're connecting from, I'm impressed.
Post a Comment
<< Home