Back in the saddle...
... another twenty-odd miles. As usual I went further than I'd expected / intended; I didn't anticipate making it as far as Bradford-on-Avon but when I got there I was pleased that I had. Highlights of the journey included finding a shepherd on quad bike, plus five sheepdogs, driving sheep along the lane (one sheep got a ride on the quad since it seemed reluctant to keep up). I also managed to locate an old friend's house, even though all I knew was which village it was in and that it was hard to see from the road, and the last time I'd seen it it hadn't even been fully built. In Bradford I explored a bit; it really is very pleasant. For the first time ever, I passed the Wiltshire Music Centre without going in. I had another look at the [in]famous houses on the Frome Road and decided I can't really bring myself to dislike them... my main complaint, in fact, is that for such relatively large and expensive houses, parking for one isn't really enough (though at Accordia they'll happily charge you twice as much and leave you with the same problem), even inasmuch as it means there's not much garage space for bikes and such either. Word of warning: I don't recommend Whitehill unless you have an engine.
Heading home, I realised that as I coaxed myself along I sounded like a cox. (My main motivation was that I'd get home and have tea and toast, the consumption of which probably negated by afternoon's exertions. In fact it could well be that this cycling malarkey will actually make me fatter, because I really do eat even more after cycling, thinking that I've earned it, than I would if I stayed home). Thus a plan began to form in which I lost a lot of weight and returned to Cambridge, did an MPhil or whatever and took up coxing and all (well, some) of the other things that students are meant to do but I managed to overlook. Well, it's worth thinking about... hehe.
A couple of observations: signage is still inadequate or inconsistent in some places - one path in town is part of National Route 4 if you're heading one way, but No Cycling if you're heading the other way. And bus companies really shouldn't allow their drivers to smoke at the wheel - even when the buses are empty (most of the time, then) it looks really unprofessional.
---
The BBC's 'How Smart Are You' quizzes continue with Physics, at which I scored an easy 10/10. Do not be fooled; whilst GCSE and indeed A-level physics is full of largely-comprehensible interesting stuff like this, degree-level physics bears almost no relation to it at all and all but the mathematically exceptional should be strongly cautioned before trying it... [/bitter]
Heading home, I realised that as I coaxed myself along I sounded like a cox. (My main motivation was that I'd get home and have tea and toast, the consumption of which probably negated by afternoon's exertions. In fact it could well be that this cycling malarkey will actually make me fatter, because I really do eat even more after cycling, thinking that I've earned it, than I would if I stayed home). Thus a plan began to form in which I lost a lot of weight and returned to Cambridge, did an MPhil or whatever and took up coxing and all (well, some) of the other things that students are meant to do but I managed to overlook. Well, it's worth thinking about... hehe.
A couple of observations: signage is still inadequate or inconsistent in some places - one path in town is part of National Route 4 if you're heading one way, but No Cycling if you're heading the other way. And bus companies really shouldn't allow their drivers to smoke at the wheel - even when the buses are empty (most of the time, then) it looks really unprofessional.
---
The BBC's 'How Smart Are You' quizzes continue with Physics, at which I scored an easy 10/10. Do not be fooled; whilst GCSE and indeed A-level physics is full of largely-comprehensible interesting stuff like this, degree-level physics bears almost no relation to it at all and all but the mathematically exceptional should be strongly cautioned before trying it... [/bitter]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home