Day 6: Monday 26th September
Finally, it was time to visit Durham. I’d been meaning to go there since I first read Bill Bryson’s Notes From A Small Island:
We spent most of our time in the cathedral, which I insisted on browsing properly with the aid of a guide-pamphlet. Grandma seemed pleased at this, since her visits are usually more of the in-and-out variety, for carol services and graduations. In this way we passed a pleasant hour or so even without paying for entry to any of the extra exhibitions. I didn’t feel I possessed the religious fervour necessary to tour a separate museum dedicated to one saint, particularly as the very idea brought to mind Father Ted. Having made a circuit of the cathedral, we stopped off at the café in the undercroft. According to a newspaper review on the door, it was ‘everything a cathedral café should be’. Whether by this they intended ‘frighteningly priced and full of mildly-disapproving-looking old people’ I’m not sure, but it was pleasant enough nonetheless, in that delightful small-pleasures way.
Outside, we wandered the old streets, and I wondered quietly (and perhaps with some little unfair derision) whether they tiny townhouses we passed that proclaimed themselves “University of Durham: Department of x” really did contain the entire department of x. Presently we came to a bridge on the river, and I watched the students going by, wondering whether term had started so soon. It was all familiar yet different: plenty of stash in evidence and a couple of oh-so-public-school types in college scarves and blazers. From what I’ve heard of such universities (Bristol and Exeter included), I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find people in Durham who out-‘Oxbridged’ Oxbridge.
Other lessons of the day: Grandma found my driving acceptable, and made it clear that although for religious reasons she won’t swear herself, it’s quite alright if I do in her presence. Anyone who’s driven with me will understand that this is important. Hehe.
Something I discovered on this trip is that Britain remains a big, diverse place, with a great deal to see. Given that Britain’s a tiny country, the world really must be huge. And yet it’s just a small planet orbiting a small star in an average galaxy… etc. Crazy, really.
The rest of the day passed easily enough, watching Corrie (which, more so than other soaps, I could see myself getting into if I really became a couch potato – think I’ll stick to The Archers though; and why isn’t there an Archers facebook group?!) and driving D and Uncle A to the pub.
There, that wasn’t too much to read was it?
[Posted 16:24 on November 7th]
if you have never been to Durham, go at once. Take my car. It’s wonderful.Of course I should really have gone to their applicants’ day but I was disinclined since I already had an unconditional offer from Cambridge, and (perhaps because they knew I’d applied to Cambridge) they’d transferred my application to a college that was distinctly not the one to which I’d applied. Anyway, it had been preying on my mind for years that, perhaps, I’d made the wrong choice. I can state now that I’m now convinced I didn’t. I didn’t feel Bryson’s fervour for the place , but I did find Durham very agreeable. (Indeed the fact that this is true despite it being a dull day suggests that had it been sunny I might have liked it very well).
We spent most of our time in the cathedral, which I insisted on browsing properly with the aid of a guide-pamphlet. Grandma seemed pleased at this, since her visits are usually more of the in-and-out variety, for carol services and graduations. In this way we passed a pleasant hour or so even without paying for entry to any of the extra exhibitions. I didn’t feel I possessed the religious fervour necessary to tour a separate museum dedicated to one saint, particularly as the very idea brought to mind Father Ted. Having made a circuit of the cathedral, we stopped off at the café in the undercroft. According to a newspaper review on the door, it was ‘everything a cathedral café should be’. Whether by this they intended ‘frighteningly priced and full of mildly-disapproving-looking old people’ I’m not sure, but it was pleasant enough nonetheless, in that delightful small-pleasures way.
Outside, we wandered the old streets, and I wondered quietly (and perhaps with some little unfair derision) whether they tiny townhouses we passed that proclaimed themselves “University of Durham: Department of x” really did contain the entire department of x. Presently we came to a bridge on the river, and I watched the students going by, wondering whether term had started so soon. It was all familiar yet different: plenty of stash in evidence and a couple of oh-so-public-school types in college scarves and blazers. From what I’ve heard of such universities (Bristol and Exeter included), I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find people in Durham who out-‘Oxbridged’ Oxbridge.
Other lessons of the day: Grandma found my driving acceptable, and made it clear that although for religious reasons she won’t swear herself, it’s quite alright if I do in her presence. Anyone who’s driven with me will understand that this is important. Hehe.
Something I discovered on this trip is that Britain remains a big, diverse place, with a great deal to see. Given that Britain’s a tiny country, the world really must be huge. And yet it’s just a small planet orbiting a small star in an average galaxy… etc. Crazy, really.
The rest of the day passed easily enough, watching Corrie (which, more so than other soaps, I could see myself getting into if I really became a couch potato – think I’ll stick to The Archers though; and why isn’t there an Archers facebook group?!) and driving D and Uncle A to the pub.
There, that wasn’t too much to read was it?
[Posted 16:24 on November 7th]

10 Comments:
No. Oh, that was rhetorical?
I agree with you about Britain, and indeed the world, though I think I might arguem, (perhaps human-centrically, but never mind), that the Earth is probably more interesting than the vast majority of space- so the multiplying up of interest peters out a little bit once you get to the super-planetary level.
TCH
(a) create an Archer's facebook group? I'll even get Dan to join it (i.e. I will log in as him and join it for him and he'll never know).
(b) swearing is important when I am driving. In Sri Lanka, my mother encourages honking as well.
(c)Forgot now and re-reading the post hasn't helped.
ack, and I wanted to be the first comment.
Ah, you have to be on your toes this afternoon... What with this sudden rash of commentators, I'm led to wonder whether the more one writes, the more comments people make. No. 57 in "Shockingly Obvious Revelations".
And I've just realised I missed My Parents Are Aliens for like the eighth time in a row. Erm, not that it matters. But it's like there's some cosmic force making me forget to watch it...
It may also have something to do with how much longer your readers have to kill time before the 6pm meeting that they have. And the speed of the internet connection they are using. And whether or not they're suitably bored to not care that leaving multiple comments which don't really add anything may be embarassing.
Oh, another Cambridge change: Graham has retired; his replacement is called Ian and is rather dumb looking. John retires at Christmas.
Thanks for that. It's distinctly un-cool the way they've forced all the groovy old porters to retire.
[Note to anyone who's still unaware - there was an article on Home Truths this week about the porters at Jesus. Nothing terribly informative but mildly diverting. Listen online or at 11pm (though I believe the repeat is shorter so it may be cut).]
Killing time by posting reasonably unimportant stuff online is an important skill, I feel.
Word to the wise - half-heartedly trawling the facebook for people you used to think were cute is not a productive way to spend time.
(NB That last point wasn't directed at Sherry...)
So does that mean:
(a) you weren't picking me out as someone who trawls the facebook looking for people I used to think were cute
or
(b)you thought I was cute and still do?
And as for Jesus porters, I don't know why they made it into the national news for having a female porter when Fitz has had them for a lot longer and in fact has two.
(a), but of course I now feel beholden to make some Homer-Simpson-esque comment like "honey, you're as cute as a bug's ear".
As for Jesus porters, I've no idea why there was an article about them - Home Truths doesn't generally need a reason, I suppose - but I suppose the fact that one of the porters was female wasn't 'news' so much as 'general interest'. Christ's doesn't have any, as far as I know.
On the little stone marking where my ashes are buried: "Sherry always knew how to fish for compliments"
Post a Comment
<< Home