Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Environmental Crime

I've just used the car to travel the three-mile round trip to town and back. And I'm not sorry, either. I was already feeling depressed and walking in this town, in this weather, is always guaranteed to make me feel worse. So I didn't. Engine, air-conditioning, it's all good. Though the Xsara is not a pleasing car to drive around-town...

Observations:
1. Why are there never quite enough Post Office counters open?
2. Must they let sixth-formers out at lunchtime? The only time I remember leaving school during the day was when our Physics teacher sent Alex and me out to buy choc-ices...
3. I saw - well, heard mostly - a toddler with the most amazingly loud, resonant voice. The uncharitable might suggest it's the only way for her to be heard at home over the TVs and the shouting.
4. Finally bought the new Doughnut!Guardian; haven't read it yet, but early indications are encouraging since it's exactly the right size for my campy shoulder-bag. Hurrah, etc.

---

Andrew Brown in today's Guardian makes a good case for the simple cellphone, and helps to articulate why I have no intention of trading in my four-and-a-third year old Nokia.

If you want a new car in the next six months I recommend you don't buy it around here; a lot of them have registration numbers beginning WU55 ... Which reminds me of the time the local Vauxhall dealers got in a job-lot of cars with the decidedly unattractive moniker W(nnn) UNK

Try out the BBC's Maths quiz. Mostly fairly easy so far (I'm on Qu 11) but Qu 9 struck me as pretty well impossible without a calculator or at least some paper, and Qu 11 is pretty challenging too...

(Update: managed 19/20, just Qu 9 that beat me. I know that won't sound too impressive but I'm quite pleased nonetheless!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

18/20 but i tried to use my head, no calc or no paper... ah well...

September 20, 2005 6:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh bugger, I was allowed to use a calculator. Never mind....

September 20, 2005 6:25 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Yeah, I did it all without paper or calculator too. It would've been hopelessly trivial with a calculator.

September 20, 2005 6:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that's the idea.... for some people reading the Mag.

September 20, 2005 9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home