Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Ever Notice...

... how the punters on TV property shows often seem to have inexhaustible financial resources? Just been watching a show in which a cheerful couple were looking for a house in Somerset, either for £250,000 or perhaps getting a mortgage and spending £450,000. Their finder offered them a house at £475,000 and having discovered the principle that the more you spend the more you get, they ended up increasing their budget to £600,000! Where do people get this fabulous wealth? Don't think I've ever even been to a house worth nearly that much money - which will immediately mark me out as a pleb to all those private school / London types who hadn't sussed me already :)

Am still struggling with Times sudoku no. 358 after perhaps 18 hours (on and off!) - it's marked 'difficult' but there's no way it's merely 'difficult' as far as I'm concerned!

---

Wish I had the strength to not eat food that's available... the only real solution I know is to go out, but at the moment I'm still trying not to use the car just in case there is a petrol shortage.

---

There are one or two local charities I'd quite like to do some volunteer work with; at the moment I'm trying to get up the courage even to contact them by email, and telephoning or going to speak to them in person is a scary thought indeed.

---

I'm moderately less impressed with the new neighbours, who've had a satellite dish attached to the front of their (rented) house; kind of messes up the symmetry. It's strange how these ugly dishes seem to be accepted everywhere without question. I have a suspicion that the planners and/or neighbours would make a bit more fuss if we wanted to install a wind turbine... Mind you we're not blameless; ours is one of the few houses with a TV aerial round here (not my choice, and since we were the first to move in we didn't know that would be the case)

---

I made macaroni-cheese for dinner; turned out very well, I thought. I'm always rather concerned with the amount of fat in home-made dishes, but I guess it's all there in ready-made ones too, you just don't realise it.

---

Was watching - I'm slightly ashamed to admit - the Channel 5 documentary about the London bombings. It's only now that I'm appreciating that it all happened to normal people, on a normal day, in normal London. Watching the Ashes parade, I felt kind of proud at how undaunted London seems. Not that I'm a Londoner, so have no place feeling pride in it. Interestingly, one of the people with whom I was watching seems to have an irrational fear of the expression "24/7", and strongly objected to Channel 5 using the formula "7/7" for 7th July, on the basis of it being a damn Americanism. He also saw fit to criticise an American passer-by who stopped in Tavistock Square to help (what was she meant to do, walk on by?)... "What's she doing to help, then?"... as it turned out, a fair bit.

---

Anyway, more tidying is called for I think. Must get out somewhere on my bike tomorrow I think (though not convinced I put it all together properly when it broke last week!)

3 Comments:

Blogger jonc said...

It's called a morgage...

jonc

September 14, 2005 4:43 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Hate to disagree but it's called a mortgage :P

And that doesn't really answer the question, just shifts it - you still need a whacking great income from somewhere in order to afford a whacking great mortgage!

September 14, 2005 5:58 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

I saw that Place in Slovakia thing! I think she may have been genuine south-east rather than mockney per se but I see your point. Their relatives who ran that pub were particularly dreadful though. It was a wonderful building but I do think they'd've been pretty insane to buy it. (Missed any mention of their budget, though)

September 16, 2005 10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home