Bustastic
Extraordinary scenes in London this morning; I agree with Stephen Fry about the importance of ensuring that cricket doesn't go the 'awful, vulgar' way of football. David English, of the Bunbury Cricket Club, was extraordinary - a real life Slughorn. But he and Dickie Bird think these cricket dudes are well grounded so let's hope so. I suspect I'd prefer that English cricket was decorous than that it was victorious, though if it can be both of course that's good.
---
Seems so unusual to hear an English accent (particularly a Northern one) when a victorious sportsman is being interviewed...
I wish our window-cleaner wasn't so scary... he's just appeared at the living room window so I've had to run away to my room where the blinds are drawn. Unfortunately there's no TV up here so I'm listening to the parade on 5-Live. In a few minutes he'll mysteriously manage to break in through the locked gate into the garden, and probably leave the gate swinging in the wind so that the latch gets all bent. Perhaps he'll throw his ladder over from next door for good measure. Sigh...
But then I'm never sure about my parents' choice of whom to pay money to - I don't think I would've been convinced that we needed the Wheelie-Bin Cleaning Company, either...
---
Well, he didn't break the gate this time but he did leave it wide open. It makes me very uneasy the way he just turns up with a ladder at the window, completely unannounced. When I was little our window-cleaner always came to the door to check the he was welcome...
1) Had to go a couple of miles into town to pick up a recorded delivery; the postman managed to wake me at 11am but didn't wait an hour for me to get up and dressed and presentable...
2) Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of taking the bike, so I figured I'd walk given that it had clouded over. Of course as soon as I stepped outside the house the sun came out :(
3) A couple of minutes later, realised I'd unwittingly ventured out at school-ending time, so it was SUV central. But I did see a Civic IMA, a VW camper sporting a sticker saying "What's so great about 70mph anyway?", and a 1963 Fiat 500. Of course the latter two probably pollute significantly more than any SUV...
4) Was going to get a Guardian to check out the new style, but I was swayed by the Indie's Ashes pullout.
5) By the time I made it to town there were a bunch of secondary and sixth-form people around. Not sure whether that's good or bad; at least in the middle of the day it's mostly pensioners, single mothers and the insane (not, of course, a disjoint set). One girl's interpretation of the school uniform was so loose (but, admittedly, stylish) that she looked like something you'd find in The Gap. Not really in the spirit of 'uniform' though.
6) Did my share of good deeds by directing some drunkard to the railway station [disclaimer: may not have been a drunkard] and a Somerfield lorry driver to Somerfield.
7) Still don't understand why walking around gets so uncomfortable and hot! I didn't even have things in my pockets this time.
8) On the way back, witnessed a scary sight indeed: it was cycling proficiency day... do not underestimate the threat of a dozen primary school kids on bikes in high-vis tunics...
What is going on with all this excessive fuel buying? People, get a fucking grip. Why turn a vague threat into a real problem with your own selfishness?
---
Seems so unusual to hear an English accent (particularly a Northern one) when a victorious sportsman is being interviewed...
I wish our window-cleaner wasn't so scary... he's just appeared at the living room window so I've had to run away to my room where the blinds are drawn. Unfortunately there's no TV up here so I'm listening to the parade on 5-Live. In a few minutes he'll mysteriously manage to break in through the locked gate into the garden, and probably leave the gate swinging in the wind so that the latch gets all bent. Perhaps he'll throw his ladder over from next door for good measure. Sigh...
But then I'm never sure about my parents' choice of whom to pay money to - I don't think I would've been convinced that we needed the Wheelie-Bin Cleaning Company, either...
---
Well, he didn't break the gate this time but he did leave it wide open. It makes me very uneasy the way he just turns up with a ladder at the window, completely unannounced. When I was little our window-cleaner always came to the door to check the he was welcome...
1) Had to go a couple of miles into town to pick up a recorded delivery; the postman managed to wake me at 11am but didn't wait an hour for me to get up and dressed and presentable...
2) Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of taking the bike, so I figured I'd walk given that it had clouded over. Of course as soon as I stepped outside the house the sun came out :(
3) A couple of minutes later, realised I'd unwittingly ventured out at school-ending time, so it was SUV central. But I did see a Civic IMA, a VW camper sporting a sticker saying "What's so great about 70mph anyway?", and a 1963 Fiat 500. Of course the latter two probably pollute significantly more than any SUV...
4) Was going to get a Guardian to check out the new style, but I was swayed by the Indie's Ashes pullout.
5) By the time I made it to town there were a bunch of secondary and sixth-form people around. Not sure whether that's good or bad; at least in the middle of the day it's mostly pensioners, single mothers and the insane (not, of course, a disjoint set). One girl's interpretation of the school uniform was so loose (but, admittedly, stylish) that she looked like something you'd find in The Gap. Not really in the spirit of 'uniform' though.
6) Did my share of good deeds by directing some drunkard to the railway station [disclaimer: may not have been a drunkard] and a Somerfield lorry driver to Somerfield.
7) Still don't understand why walking around gets so uncomfortable and hot! I didn't even have things in my pockets this time.
8) On the way back, witnessed a scary sight indeed: it was cycling proficiency day... do not underestimate the threat of a dozen primary school kids on bikes in high-vis tunics...
What is going on with all this excessive fuel buying? People, get a fucking grip. Why turn a vague threat into a real problem with your own selfishness?

3 Comments:
When on earth did I say cricket should be reserved for public school boys? Are England's cricketers public school boys? I know a lot of people who enjoy cricket, none of whom went to public schools, and very few of whom went to a private school. I hope you're not one of those who thinks state education is incompatible with proper behaviour.
I don't recall a lot of fun outsaide football involving 'lower classed peoples' {what?} at my school. And again, what does my school have to do with my dislike for hooliganism and overpaid footballers?
I don't understand your second paragraph at all. But I'm sure there's more to hate in the world of football than lager and singing. Yob violence and immoral behaviour, perhaps?
I don't think anyone thought the singing was bad, it was nice that we had something to actually sing about but what people are worried about is that it is a precursor towards yobbish behaviour which would be bad. Even the lager drinking in and of itself isn't bad but is possibly the start of worse behaviour, and i do think it would be a shame if cricket crowds did turn into fottball crowds cos what i think of wrt football crowds is rioting, insults and bottle throwing, all of which would be A Bad Thing.
Yes, M, exactly. MI5 doing well these days?
Post a Comment
<< Home