Thursday, September 08, 2005

Yikes, running out of tea...

... a trip to Oxfam is in order, I think.

1) Drove to Bath this morning with Mum... good to be up early... it's a special kind of madness driving through such narrow and busy roads, though.

2) Men in vans and women in SUVs seem to assume they can force their way through even when they don't have right of way. And they're probably correct.

3) Note to man in van: don't pull out onto a roundabout when you're meant to give way to me, only to find there's nowhere you can go and you've blocked my way. Tit.

4) I did actually see a car being driven quite well though, which is notable these days. Even used his hazard warning lights to warn when the traffic was stopping up ahead. Obviously hasn't been told that these days they're meant to be used as a cloaking device to make the car invisible to traffic wardens.

5) Strikes me that, although it's good to avert one's eyes when passing a woman on the street, if one does so too obviously it probably has the effect of making it look rather suspicious.

6) The A420 route into Bath is perhaps longer but at least you're still allowed to do 60 along most of it; and given that a lot of it's in South Gloucestershire rather than Wiltshire you get properly maintained roads with white lines and cats' eyes. Hurrah! (Though I did see a sign saying "Cats Eyes Removed" on one road, which sounded a bit gruesome).

7) Mum had an appointment to get to so I parked and walked down into town, thinking I might get some shopping done. Half an hour later I'd just made it to the top of the escalator in M&S when Mum called to say she was ready to leave. In fact she'd called 15 minutes earlier but I hadn't heard or felt it. If I had, she'd've been spared a lot of waiting and I a lot of walking!

8) Please note if parking in the park, that there's only one exit and there are no signs saying where it is. Not for the first time I found myself driving around the whole park twice trying to get out. And bear in mind that it's only the second time I've parked there...

9) Finally, note to old blokes in Nissan Micras...
When approaching a roundabout to turn right, start in the right lane, drift to the left, straddle both for a while, and finally move to the right and turn. At no time should you use signals.
That's what the Highway Code said in 1950, is it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way i've been taught (and have just checked the way it says in my highway code) is to use signals on roundabouts. Signal which way you finally intend to go when approaching (if left or right, no signal for straight....obv) if you're turning left then the signal stays on until you've left, if straight or right, turn the left signal on as you pass the turning before the one you're taking. And then lane discipline as appropriate as well.



Wow, i must really not want to write that synopsis.

And I've made a relevant addition to a driving discussion.

Wow.

September 08, 2005 4:03 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Erm... yes, dear, I know. I wasn't actually suggesting that was what the Highway Code said, in 1950 or otherwise!

September 08, 2005 7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home