Saturday, September 03, 2005

Let there be light

1) Have now seen two '55' cars; the first a Renault Clio (which made me wonder why, if one wants a Clio, one wouldn't buy a four-year-old one or wait a few months for the new model - still, it was a pretty colour, and very nicely reverse-parked), the second a Renault Laguna.

2) Another 12 miles or so on the bike; went over to drink tea with Shula. I don't know why her town has such a bad reputation really, parts of it are very pretty. I saw a nice shiny red Mini that appealed to my childish side. I was only mildly mauled by the dog, too. Hurrah.

3) Word of advice: don't cycle through wooded areas in the middle of nowhere after sundown, particularly not when you only have dark sunglasses to protect your eyes. Note to self: buy lighter sunglasses. At least make sure you have a bell to ring to ward off the evil spirits, goblins, nymphs etc.

4) I tried without the sunglasses but then I got a fly in my eye and had to rinse it out. (Cue 'that's when I developed my drinking problem' quotation from Airplane!)

5) Not to self: fit lights to bike. I got off and walked the last mile or so, not wanting to break the law or get run over. Incidentally does anyone know the legality of cycling whilst talking on a mobile phone? On a deserted National Cycle Route, off-road, when in a hurry to get home before it gets really dark? I took a short-cut through a well-lit underground car park, which was convenient, and even better when I found out that I could get out between the barriers at the other end. Don't try it in a car, though.

6) Returned home only to leave again by car, taking Dad to a party (I'm very much the Saffy Monsoon of this household). Driving was quite fun after all that cycling... flashing my foglights at the cretins driving with said bad-weather visibility devices (do they think it makes them members of some 'special' club? Perhaps it does... Funny, you never see people driving with their windscreen wipers on in the dry to make some kind of fashion statement...). I quite enjoy the visibility and enhanced hearing that you get driving with the roof down, though I imagine it looks rather silly after dark.

I was impressed, or rather slightly scared, by the couple in a diesel Voyager (big American MPV) who managed to keep right up behind me even though I thought I could accelerate faster... didn't even manage to lose them by taking a very tight line at a roundabout... I was driving at the posted limit anyway, so I guess they weren't wanting to go faster than I was allowing... I do get irritated at the people who overtake me in a particular 30-zone in town... they seem to think that because it changes to 50 about 50 metres further on, I should be going faster... [rolls eyes]

7) The Brother had filled the house with late-teenagers again, but luckily they've gone out now. I'm always slightly disconcerted when people know who I am but I don't know or remember who they are; rather impolite on my part. I shan't mention the mildly interesting blonde girl who mysteriously disappeared well before the rest.

8) Better eat, I suppose, though that's not the way to get thin...

---
I do feel like, given time, I could work out what to do with my life... (and maybe even finish tidying my room) ... but I'm worried that I don't have time... that if I take time, the gaps in my CV will prevent me from doing whatever it is I've decided I want to do... yargh...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're that worried about gaping holes in your cv what about teaching english in a foreign country? One of my friends is doing that because he won't hate it, certainly not as much as what he's doing atm, it'll give him experience and means he won't have gaping hole in his cv for the next year. You also get to see other countries (he's going to moscow) meet new people and in your case do something constructive whilst trying to work out what you do want to do.

Speaking of which have you thought about working for a charity? Or government like in the foreign office or something? You've said you don't really think you'd suit academia or buisness but there are lots of options.

September 05, 2005 1:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home