Going Coastal
Preamble: I made risotto for dinner; I think it went pretty well, and unusually I wasn't still hungry after eating. Hurrah.
1) Coast came to an end with a discussion of some general issues, largely concerning the future of the coast. Frankly, all the evidence at the moment leads me to run around screaming 'we're doomed! doomed!'... I've been watching the amazing scenes from New Orleans with the feeling that this is probably the start of something. Incidentally, a plain speech award please for the mayor of New Orleans, speaking today on the radio:
2) The Lovely Alice Roberts presented the debate over renewable energy. I'm all for offshore wind and other renewables, but I really can't see them supplying our needs quickly enough, and I suspect that nuclear energy is a sensible way to go whilst we develop other technologies. I think also there's a role for much more home generation; every rooftop in the world has sun and wind incident upon it, for a start.
3) Sounds like something called the Marine Bill is going to be quite important in safeguarding coastal interests. I ought to find out more about that. (here's a link)
1) Coast came to an end with a discussion of some general issues, largely concerning the future of the coast. Frankly, all the evidence at the moment leads me to run around screaming 'we're doomed! doomed!'... I've been watching the amazing scenes from New Orleans with the feeling that this is probably the start of something. Incidentally, a plain speech award please for the mayor of New Orleans, speaking today on the radio:
I am pissedIn confessional mood, I might add that whilst we often complain about Americans' lack of international knowledge, it had never really occurred to me that the USA even had a south coast.
2) The Lovely Alice Roberts presented the debate over renewable energy. I'm all for offshore wind and other renewables, but I really can't see them supplying our needs quickly enough, and I suspect that nuclear energy is a sensible way to go whilst we develop other technologies. I think also there's a role for much more home generation; every rooftop in the world has sun and wind incident upon it, for a start.
3) Sounds like something called the Marine Bill is going to be quite important in safeguarding coastal interests. I ought to find out more about that. (here's a link)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home