Argh, itchy
After a wholly unsatisfactory night's sleep that finally ended at 11am, I set about washing the bike. Took a while and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the end result - I still can't get the cassette clean, and I'm not yet sure about correct lubing practice.
Set about tidying, and watching the excellent Monsoon Wedding.
Shula came over for some tea, and I took the bike out again to show her the route she should have taken. Apparently the White Van Man we passed wasn't best pleased with me pointing at him and yelling "Oi! Off the phone!" - but if neither laws nor conscience have any effect, surely public spectacle is worth a shot...
The off-road tyres - admittedly still at low pressure for off-roading - were good on the rougher stuff, but on smooth surfaces demonstrated just what a good idea the Cruizers were.
Incidentally, Andy and I have both been wondering about best practice when coming up behind pedestrians - ringing the bell and calling 'excuse me, please' both seem rather brusque and apparently don't go down too well; creeping up behind and hoping they notice you seems to work, but I find it a little sneaky.
Thassall for now...
---
Postscripts:
It's only 1 September and the schools are back already; even Hogwarts doesn't start this early.
Only saw one '55' vehicle when I was out, which was a motorbike.
Why is it that I feel guilty when I take issue with people who ignore laws and endanger others? It'd be so much more comfortable to do nothing, but I think we all have a responsibility of setting a general air of disapproval towards wrongdoers. I bet the people who use mobile phones whilst driving, and park dangerously, and drive with their bloody foglights on, don't feel the tiniest pang of conscience...
How come kids are taking twelve GCSEs these days? When are the extra lessons? I only have ten...
Mileage today was probably around seven. Not much, but better than nothing. I only just avoid getting severely rained on, too.
Local paper is out today so lots of cretins for me to despair at, and sloppy sub-editing to lament. For example: two badgers were stolen from parked cars, and the pub needs to update its desert menu. Whilst on the subject, everyone please remember the difference between its and it's, and between your and you're!
Set about tidying, and watching the excellent Monsoon Wedding.
Shula came over for some tea, and I took the bike out again to show her the route she should have taken. Apparently the White Van Man we passed wasn't best pleased with me pointing at him and yelling "Oi! Off the phone!" - but if neither laws nor conscience have any effect, surely public spectacle is worth a shot...
The off-road tyres - admittedly still at low pressure for off-roading - were good on the rougher stuff, but on smooth surfaces demonstrated just what a good idea the Cruizers were.
Incidentally, Andy and I have both been wondering about best practice when coming up behind pedestrians - ringing the bell and calling 'excuse me, please' both seem rather brusque and apparently don't go down too well; creeping up behind and hoping they notice you seems to work, but I find it a little sneaky.
Thassall for now...
---
Postscripts:
It's only 1 September and the schools are back already; even Hogwarts doesn't start this early.
Only saw one '55' vehicle when I was out, which was a motorbike.
Why is it that I feel guilty when I take issue with people who ignore laws and endanger others? It'd be so much more comfortable to do nothing, but I think we all have a responsibility of setting a general air of disapproval towards wrongdoers. I bet the people who use mobile phones whilst driving, and park dangerously, and drive with their bloody foglights on, don't feel the tiniest pang of conscience...
How come kids are taking twelve GCSEs these days? When are the extra lessons? I only have ten...
Mileage today was probably around seven. Not much, but better than nothing. I only just avoid getting severely rained on, too.
Local paper is out today so lots of cretins for me to despair at, and sloppy sub-editing to lament. For example: two badgers were stolen from parked cars, and the pub needs to update its desert menu. Whilst on the subject, everyone please remember the difference between its and it's, and between your and you're!

4 Comments:
Flick the gears about a bit once you get close, they'll hear the clunking noise and look round.
I only tend to get annoyed about moving out of the way of bikes when they're riding on the pavement. Especially on campus when it's not even close to being a scary three lane A road or anything.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! You said the dreaded 00t word
I think extra lessons are at lunch.
Skulking behind people is what I did in Cam, and then I beamed at them and everybody was happy.
Post a Comment
<< Home