Jamodu!
1) Am baking another batch of rock-cakes. No good reason why, especially as I forgot / lacked ingredients for the modification I had intended. Don't think they'll be as good this time either...
Note: baking trays with raisin-sized holes are suboptimal when baking things with raisins in.
(I suppose one interpretation of the baking is to get in practice for a mythical future in which I have someone to bake for... but I don't subscribe to that view. It's just that one of my many failings as a person is my lack of culinary expertise, and I have to start somewhere in rectifying that. And it gives me stuff to eat.)
2) Am watching the Last Night of the Proms... first time in a while. For the last few years, since becoming a woolly europhile anti-nationalist liberal, I've regarded the whole thing with fashionable disdain for the jingoistic anachronism, etc. etc. I think perhaps during the Slatkin years it seemed even less appropriate with an American MC... Anyway, at the moment I feel a little more indulgent towards it; perhaps it's something to do with these being generally dark times when we could all do with a bit of light-hearted solidarity to alleviate the gloom. Or not. Either way, I'm still stopping short of joining in.
3) Of course, the fact that this coincides with the cricket makes it a good time for good-old-days British (well, English for the cricket at least*) jolly-good-blokery...
*One of the Proms in the Park is in Belfast, making even 'British' insufficient. The bloke holding up a sign "Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England" was greeted by an Albert-Hall full of booing... so perhaps it all is a rather English thing? But then there's Auld Lang Syne...
4) I think it was worth the trip to Oxfam... rock cakes and Earl Grey - and sea songs - , how fabulous.
---
In the RAH, the redundant 'for the sake of auld lang syne' seemed pretty much universal, but at the Edinburgh military tattoo thingy the other week it was definitively 'for auld lang syne'; is this a Scottish/English difference? Another 'deliberate mistake' like applause between movements or, erm, getting Alan Titchmarsh in as an announcer? Hehe...
Note: baking trays with raisin-sized holes are suboptimal when baking things with raisins in.
(I suppose one interpretation of the baking is to get in practice for a mythical future in which I have someone to bake for... but I don't subscribe to that view. It's just that one of my many failings as a person is my lack of culinary expertise, and I have to start somewhere in rectifying that. And it gives me stuff to eat.)
2) Am watching the Last Night of the Proms... first time in a while. For the last few years, since becoming a woolly europhile anti-nationalist liberal, I've regarded the whole thing with fashionable disdain for the jingoistic anachronism, etc. etc. I think perhaps during the Slatkin years it seemed even less appropriate with an American MC... Anyway, at the moment I feel a little more indulgent towards it; perhaps it's something to do with these being generally dark times when we could all do with a bit of light-hearted solidarity to alleviate the gloom. Or not. Either way, I'm still stopping short of joining in.
3) Of course, the fact that this coincides with the cricket makes it a good time for good-old-days British (well, English for the cricket at least*) jolly-good-blokery...
*One of the Proms in the Park is in Belfast, making even 'British' insufficient. The bloke holding up a sign "Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England" was greeted by an Albert-Hall full of booing... so perhaps it all is a rather English thing? But then there's Auld Lang Syne...
4) I think it was worth the trip to Oxfam... rock cakes and Earl Grey - and sea songs - , how fabulous.
---
In the RAH, the redundant 'for the sake of auld lang syne' seemed pretty much universal, but at the Edinburgh military tattoo thingy the other week it was definitively 'for auld lang syne'; is this a Scottish/English difference? Another 'deliberate mistake' like applause between movements or, erm, getting Alan Titchmarsh in as an announcer? Hehe...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home