Chocolate factories, and other animals.
Been to Bath today, to meet an old friend and - finally! - see Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. It was superb, but at £6.50 I can see why I haven't been to the cinema this year; it really is more sensible to buy DVDs these days if there's more than one of you, and the particular cinema we were in wasn't that much bigger than you could create at home with a little (well, a lot of) expense - a far cry from the magnificent screen at the old ABC.
My companion insisted upon the assertion that I and one of the more attractive of her friends would make an 'awesome couple'. Whilst superficially flattering this is not only patently untrue, but also a little unfair, to massage someone's ego in such a fallacious manner. Of course it's up to me whether I trust to hope. Personally I rather wish my friends would take a more realistic view, like I do; then they might agree with the lack of point I currently see in life...
I did find it a bit difficult to be out with so many people around, but I can't hide in my room all the time...
Incidentally although officially I'm Not Interested in coupling (preferring as I do to deal with practical possibilities rather than the realm of pure speculation), I still feel something like fear at the thought of being alone forever (that's if I ever escape my parents' house). But then, there's no reason why the only two options should be Coupled and Entirely Alone.
I wondered, as usual, where everyone my age was. 'Working,' was my companion's suggestion. I wouldn't mind that myself, just for a couple of days a week whilst I sort out 'what to do with my life' (haha), but firstly I suspect those hours would be even harder to find than full-time (which I don't want because I have other things to do), and I can't begin to imagine why anybody would employ me.
I went to John's Bikes to book the first service for my bike; it was one of those rare occasions when I deal with a stranger/shop-dude/member-of-staff and don't by the end feel mortified at my own stupidity, which was nice. Gave me a glimmer of confidence for the next minute or so.
Then, back on the train, crammed in like cattle in a poorly-ventilated carriage. Standing, of course. (The two cookies and a brownie I'd eaten didn't make me feel any better; really should've had a mug of Earl Grey to accompany them too). Yes, it feels grown-up to travel by train but to be honest on the basis of today and if I could justify the cost, I'd be inclined to travel by car... Still need to decide which mode to use to get to Birmingham later this month; suggestions?
By the time I got home I was feeling kind of weak and shaky so it was time to flop on the sofa and drink Earl Grey and get Mum to cut up some fruit for me. Hehe.
---
(Next day) One thing that concerned me was Wonka's story about paying the Oompa Loompas in, and making his chocolate from, coca beans. That's coca as in cocaine, stimulant, etc. I can't see this being an accident when they actually meant 'cacao beans' (which, if memory serves, is what Dahl wrote) so I guess it's another of those 'jokes for the parents'. Anyone agree?
My companion insisted upon the assertion that I and one of the more attractive of her friends would make an 'awesome couple'. Whilst superficially flattering this is not only patently untrue, but also a little unfair, to massage someone's ego in such a fallacious manner. Of course it's up to me whether I trust to hope. Personally I rather wish my friends would take a more realistic view, like I do; then they might agree with the lack of point I currently see in life...
I did find it a bit difficult to be out with so many people around, but I can't hide in my room all the time...
Incidentally although officially I'm Not Interested in coupling (preferring as I do to deal with practical possibilities rather than the realm of pure speculation), I still feel something like fear at the thought of being alone forever (that's if I ever escape my parents' house). But then, there's no reason why the only two options should be Coupled and Entirely Alone.
I wondered, as usual, where everyone my age was. 'Working,' was my companion's suggestion. I wouldn't mind that myself, just for a couple of days a week whilst I sort out 'what to do with my life' (haha), but firstly I suspect those hours would be even harder to find than full-time (which I don't want because I have other things to do), and I can't begin to imagine why anybody would employ me.
I went to John's Bikes to book the first service for my bike; it was one of those rare occasions when I deal with a stranger/shop-dude/member-of-staff and don't by the end feel mortified at my own stupidity, which was nice. Gave me a glimmer of confidence for the next minute or so.
Then, back on the train, crammed in like cattle in a poorly-ventilated carriage. Standing, of course. (The two cookies and a brownie I'd eaten didn't make me feel any better; really should've had a mug of Earl Grey to accompany them too). Yes, it feels grown-up to travel by train but to be honest on the basis of today and if I could justify the cost, I'd be inclined to travel by car... Still need to decide which mode to use to get to Birmingham later this month; suggestions?
By the time I got home I was feeling kind of weak and shaky so it was time to flop on the sofa and drink Earl Grey and get Mum to cut up some fruit for me. Hehe.
---
(Next day) One thing that concerned me was Wonka's story about paying the Oompa Loompas in, and making his chocolate from, coca beans. That's coca as in cocaine, stimulant, etc. I can't see this being an accident when they actually meant 'cacao beans' (which, if memory serves, is what Dahl wrote) so I guess it's another of those 'jokes for the parents'. Anyone agree?

9 Comments:
Unfortunatly i fear the would be very unhappy Oompa Loompas as Cocaine comes from the leaves not the seeds of the coca plant. But then I've always found its easy to get high of baking powder if you think its cocaine, so they were probably fine.
Thanks, scarily nameless person. I did understand that cocaine comes from the leaves; as far as I can tell from Wikipedia the 'coca bean' may not exist at all. But I can only think that substituting 'coca bean' for 'cacao bean' was a scriptwriter's joke, albeit a somewhat obscure one...
Next in amateur botanists' weekly, what's the correspondence between a bean and a seed?.
Oh and from pedants' corner...
Unfortunately
off
it's
Sorry, couldn't resist :)
they
cocaine
it's
Hehehehe.
I suspect it's purely accidental.
Love, Anonymous (a different one than the above)
Soon everyone else will come around to my correct usage of it's and its. Until then its fun to play with your mind and it's little OCD tendencies. Muhahaha.
Also there was nothing wrong with my usage of Cocaine. I was referring to the city. Your SPG meter obviously went into overload.
Incidentally it was clearly not an in joke, the writers are just stupid.
I'm trying to work out who all these nameless yet wise people are, and failing dismally. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone anywhere near Wolverhampton, for a start. Stupid statcounter...
I do have some theories based on tone, though...
Ah, Wolverhampton has been identified, and is blameless... for this, at least...
Post a Comment
<< Home