Just mooching around
Been out walking in town, since it's nice and grey today :)
Things seen: a completely standard Toyota Rav4 with a 'V8' badge on the front. Nonsense. The least they could've done would've been to fit the bonnet from the diesel model, with the big air vent in it. A delivery van from some bed shop advertising their - give me a moment, this'll be painful to type -
I fear I'm getting rather uncouth, having caught myself twice in 24 hours delivering what I'll call an 'Agincourt Salute'... yesterday to a mail van that I thought had passed rather close and fast and, come to that, in a narrow tunnel; today to a scooter boy who'd decided he'd rather not stop and give way as I crossed a zebra crossing (incidentally I doubt either of them noticed). But then I feel it's important to be able to express displeasure at times... suggestions?
Also today, another instalment in the occasional series "S braves small local shop and engages with shopkeeper (finding it more satisfying than chain-store shopping despite the fear)", as I went to seek out hooks for my new picture-rail. Turned out half the price of B&Q so hurrah.
Things seen: a completely standard Toyota Rav4 with a 'V8' badge on the front. Nonsense. The least they could've done would've been to fit the bonnet from the diesel model, with the big air vent in it. A delivery van from some bed shop advertising their - give me a moment, this'll be painful to type -
Mattress's - Sofa's - Suites - BedsWhat on earth is the explanation for that?
I fear I'm getting rather uncouth, having caught myself twice in 24 hours delivering what I'll call an 'Agincourt Salute'... yesterday to a mail van that I thought had passed rather close and fast and, come to that, in a narrow tunnel; today to a scooter boy who'd decided he'd rather not stop and give way as I crossed a zebra crossing (incidentally I doubt either of them noticed). But then I feel it's important to be able to express displeasure at times... suggestions?
Also today, another instalment in the occasional series "S braves small local shop and engages with shopkeeper (finding it more satisfying than chain-store shopping despite the fear)", as I went to seek out hooks for my new picture-rail. Turned out half the price of B&Q so hurrah.
Me: "... OK I'll take four"I decided not to argue.
He: "How much are they... 35p..."
Me: "... I think they're forty actually..."
He (ignoring me): "£1.40 then please"

4 Comments:
I can see the discomfort with writing matresss without an apostrophe, though the implicit assumption that (s)he has never pluralised a word such as, say, kiss and hence worked out the solution, is rather frightening.
Hmm, I only seem to respond to your posts recently on matters pertaining to apostrophes. Does that make me more or less boring than a fourteen hour planning meeting on nail sizes?
TCH
Matresss. Hehe. That'd be funny. I must hold my hand up (something we actually used to do in choir rehearsals) and admit that I thought it was 'mattress' rather than 'matress'. In fact that still doesn't look right. Oh hang on, it looks like they're both right but 'matress' is indeed the more 'alt' of the two. So you might wonder why I'm going to post this comment anyway.
A fourteen hour planning meeting on nail sizes you say? No doubt if I'd got my career-planning act together I could be in one right now.
Anyway, responses pertaining to apostrophes are better than no responses at all. Aren't they, Everyone Else?
Incidentally, there are people like me who try to avoid the k-word, plural or not... :P
I knew you were going to follow up on 'kiss', but I couldn't think of another four letter noun ending in a double s which sounded like a common word. Pass, yes for a verb, but a bit wacky for a noun. Mess, I suppose, but that's rather collective already, one might argue. Loss, but that's abstract. Lass has the same objection I started with...usw
TCH
Post a Comment
<< Home