In defence of Jaguar
Quite apart from the fact that those misers at Apple should (in my view) have given me Panther, and the fact that I can't justify spending £90 on Tiger (cf. a few days ago), a few words in defence of Jaguar:
1. Every OS since has looked worse, viz. too much Brushed Metal rather than Lickable, the buttons in Mail, etc.
2. I don't want to have to buy more memory, and that's more likely with a newer OS.
3. 'Jaguar' is a much better name than 'Panther'; 'Tiger' is OK but rather common.
4. Rarity value: there can't be very many new-style Powerbooks running Jaguar since they'd've had to be bought within a window of about three weeks two years ago and not upgraded since.
---
This is as good a place as any to tag on the latest Mini discussion. A friend of M's has a new Cooper S Convertible. Doubtless this is a highly suitable and attractive car for the well-paid twenty-something singleton/DINKY. But personally even if I could afford it (ha) I'd have trouble justifying £20,000 or more for a Mini, and 33.6mpg - in fact I'd have enough trouble justifying £16,000 and 42.2mpg or so for the standard Cooper. But then, like so many things these days, it's all academic isn't it.
---
Strange weather we're having... yesterday was decidedly late summer, but today it feels like it's nearly winter!
1. Every OS since has looked worse, viz. too much Brushed Metal rather than Lickable, the buttons in Mail, etc.
2. I don't want to have to buy more memory, and that's more likely with a newer OS.
3. 'Jaguar' is a much better name than 'Panther'; 'Tiger' is OK but rather common.
4. Rarity value: there can't be very many new-style Powerbooks running Jaguar since they'd've had to be bought within a window of about three weeks two years ago and not upgraded since.
---
This is as good a place as any to tag on the latest Mini discussion. A friend of M's has a new Cooper S Convertible. Doubtless this is a highly suitable and attractive car for the well-paid twenty-something singleton/DINKY. But personally even if I could afford it (ha) I'd have trouble justifying £20,000 or more for a Mini, and 33.6mpg - in fact I'd have enough trouble justifying £16,000 and 42.2mpg or so for the standard Cooper. But then, like so many things these days, it's all academic isn't it.
---
Strange weather we're having... yesterday was decidedly late summer, but today it feels like it's nearly winter!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home