Mostly Flying Things
1) Finally had my hair cut - first time since April. Hurrah.
2) Actually didn't think I looked too bad in an apron during my cooking adventure. Hehe.
3) Dad, who may be going to [English town a couple of hours away] during the same week, but not on the same day, as Mum, refuses to consider either of them taking the train in either direction because it's "not convenient" (no further explanation given). Apparently my even suggesting such a thing shows I'm not realistic... Now I don't deny that trains produce a lot of filthy pollution, and probably aren't very cost-effective compared to the cost of going by car, but since they're going to run anyway perhaps we should consider using them... This comes back to the question of whether what each of us does really matters, though. The only solution - and it's one that has been suggested in apparent seriousness by certain environmental groups - is that we don't travel at all. But why should some of us make unwilling hermits of ourselves in a vain attempt to make a difference?
4) Just noticed that the little spider in the corner above my desk is doing a roaring trade in small flies. Then I realised I should probably be trying to save the flies that haven't yet been caught, so I shall aim my light in another direction and see if they follow it. Hmm, that means I now have a light shining in my eyes... [sigh]
5) Was sitting on the kitchen sofa earlier on, reading. [It probably is the best place when I have the house to myself, being sunny, next to the garden, near what little food we have (feeling the lack of chocolate at the moment...), and with a TV to watch the breaking news] I was, of course, distracted at various points, by various flying things...
a) the Red Arrows flew over, quite low, in two V-formations (one of them necessarily incomplete, of course)
b) there seem to be a fair few butterflies in the garden, one of which I got some photos of (haven't uploaded - or is it downloaded? - to my computer yet though)
c) lots of flies kept coming and going from the garden. At one point I was joined by a hoverfly - not yellow and black striped as usual, but mostly black. It's a much more elegant animal than the standard housefly... it flew sedately like an airship, rather than frantically zooming. As it approached the closed window it turned gracefully through 180 degrees to go back the way it had come (reminding me of the time I saw Caius M1 spinning at Baitsbite... much more graceful than some 'lesser' boats with their five-point turns... hehe]. Nature's cool.
6) A few flies (well, bugs of some kind) have appeared on the ceiling where my desk lamp is now pointing... so maybe I've saved some lives... I do feel guilty sometimes, at the thought that in some parts of the world at least, my attempts to save insect lives could conceivably endanger humans...
7) I realised the other day that only about 18 months ago I would have considered 1:30am as 'late'. I must stop habitually being up at 3am...
2) Actually didn't think I looked too bad in an apron during my cooking adventure. Hehe.
3) Dad, who may be going to [English town a couple of hours away] during the same week, but not on the same day, as Mum, refuses to consider either of them taking the train in either direction because it's "not convenient" (no further explanation given). Apparently my even suggesting such a thing shows I'm not realistic... Now I don't deny that trains produce a lot of filthy pollution, and probably aren't very cost-effective compared to the cost of going by car, but since they're going to run anyway perhaps we should consider using them... This comes back to the question of whether what each of us does really matters, though. The only solution - and it's one that has been suggested in apparent seriousness by certain environmental groups - is that we don't travel at all. But why should some of us make unwilling hermits of ourselves in a vain attempt to make a difference?
4) Just noticed that the little spider in the corner above my desk is doing a roaring trade in small flies. Then I realised I should probably be trying to save the flies that haven't yet been caught, so I shall aim my light in another direction and see if they follow it. Hmm, that means I now have a light shining in my eyes... [sigh]
5) Was sitting on the kitchen sofa earlier on, reading. [It probably is the best place when I have the house to myself, being sunny, next to the garden, near what little food we have (feeling the lack of chocolate at the moment...), and with a TV to watch the breaking news] I was, of course, distracted at various points, by various flying things...
a) the Red Arrows flew over, quite low, in two V-formations (one of them necessarily incomplete, of course)
b) there seem to be a fair few butterflies in the garden, one of which I got some photos of (haven't uploaded - or is it downloaded? - to my computer yet though)
c) lots of flies kept coming and going from the garden. At one point I was joined by a hoverfly - not yellow and black striped as usual, but mostly black. It's a much more elegant animal than the standard housefly... it flew sedately like an airship, rather than frantically zooming. As it approached the closed window it turned gracefully through 180 degrees to go back the way it had come (reminding me of the time I saw Caius M1 spinning at Baitsbite... much more graceful than some 'lesser' boats with their five-point turns... hehe]. Nature's cool.
6) A few flies (well, bugs of some kind) have appeared on the ceiling where my desk lamp is now pointing... so maybe I've saved some lives... I do feel guilty sometimes, at the thought that in some parts of the world at least, my attempts to save insect lives could conceivably endanger humans...
7) I realised the other day that only about 18 months ago I would have considered 1:30am as 'late'. I must stop habitually being up at 3am...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home