Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Book Shopping

So, I went to see my tutor for my final Exeat. It's really quite scary to see; "Authorised Departure Date: 1 July. Authorised Return Date: n/a". I'm not authorised to return... not in October, January or April. Yikes. I also note now that for some reason I have an exeat with Nóirín's name on it rather than mine... wonder if that matters... had better email my tutor I suppose.

Was discussing some of the difficulties we've had this year; the response 'I wish you'd told me earlier' seems to have become a repeated refrain of my tutors over the years...! Apologies to the people left in the queue by the way, my meeting did over-run by a factor of about five...

Anyhoo, then I went to the P'lodge to find no sign of my Amazon package, which is annoying cos I need to get the book it contains to Stoakley's for stamping; but I did get a very pretty expedition guide from the Earthwatch Institute, which I shall take a look at later. Owing partly to their website's failure to function in Safari, I may end up with a spare copy so let me know if you'd like one.

Then it was off to Galloway & Porter's. Top buys at the moment: they still have the Harry Potter books at £2 each, or £2.95 for the hardbacked OotP; so you can collect the whole set so far for £10.95, rather less than the RRP for a single hardback :) Also, a couple of copies of Nick Mackintosh's IQ & Human Intelligence at £8, which might interest Psychologists. A few Oliver Sacks books too. I was looking at the philosophy shelves, but the chances of me making my way through anything intellectual are slim to none, unless it's a book that's specifically recommended. So if anyone wants to suggest something, please do. On the subject of intellectual reading matter, there are a couple of Dan Brown books in the Oxfam Bookshop at £3.99 each; inexplicably they seem in very good condition as if their owner didn't want to read them... hehe. Oh, anyway I made some decidedly unintellectual purchases - Pride & Prejudice because it made me laugh on TV, even if it is rather girly, and for 100p you can't really go wrong, unless it's cursed or something, wow do you think Penguin Classics and the like {actually this one's Oxford Classics} are so cheap because they're cursed? Crazy. Where was I? Oh yes, the Austen and - get this - The Ultimate Time Team Companion!! A measly £3. Hurrah for Galloway & Porter.

And finally, a note to the large group of first years for whom I stood aside at the side gate. I can almost promise it wouldn't've killed you to say thanks, or, you know, incline your head slightly. I know I look kinda weird but that's no excuse, you don't even have to make eye contact.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

First years always act like they're doing you a favour by standing in the way/trampling all over you/whatever. Once, at Sainsbury's they were blocking the way arguing over whether sauv blanc was red or white. Sigh.

June 15, 2005 3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home