Things I Miss About College
... this may turn in to a series depending on the rosiness of hindsight, but for now I wanted to highlight...
1) Routinely going outside every day. Nowadays it's quite possible for me not to leave the house for days in a row, and when I do go out, all too often it's in a car.
2) Routinely seeing and speaking to people every day. Offline, that is, where as some people will know, my social sphere currently resembles more of a straight line at times.
On the other hand there are of course a lot of things I've done since leaving college that, I think, have improved me. Perhaps these are fewer than other people have managed, but they still have merit, and include...
a) Travelling more than 15 miles from home alone...
b) ... by car, train, tube, and bike...
c) ... including navigating London with increasing confidence.
d) Writing job applications...
e) ... and attending interviews and selection days.
f) Actually working, albeit not very much, including three weeks of proper grown-up driving to work every day.
g) Seeing places I hadn't seen before, in London, Warwickshire, Yorkshire, Devon, etc.
h) Increased amounts of singing. Which some might not consider a good thing, but no matter.
i) Going to the theatre and concerts - not often enough for my liking, but a little too often for my income.
j) Reading, notably making a very good start on the Discworld books, which I'd allowed to pass me by for too long.
k) Buying birthday presents. Well, I haven't done very much of that, but more than before.
l) Visiting university friends at home (and at Starbucks on Oxford Street)...
m) ... and home friends at university.
n) Finally relenting and agreeing to stay over with other people rather than insisting on sleeping in my own room, which greatly aided l) and m).
o) Trying to nurture a can-do attitude, generally be less weird, and sleep more.
And some, more or fewer other notable things of note. They may not sound much but, you know, every little helps.
1) Routinely going outside every day. Nowadays it's quite possible for me not to leave the house for days in a row, and when I do go out, all too often it's in a car.
2) Routinely seeing and speaking to people every day. Offline, that is, where as some people will know, my social sphere currently resembles more of a straight line at times.
On the other hand there are of course a lot of things I've done since leaving college that, I think, have improved me. Perhaps these are fewer than other people have managed, but they still have merit, and include...
a) Travelling more than 15 miles from home alone...
b) ... by car, train, tube, and bike...
c) ... including navigating London with increasing confidence.
d) Writing job applications...
e) ... and attending interviews and selection days.
f) Actually working, albeit not very much, including three weeks of proper grown-up driving to work every day.
g) Seeing places I hadn't seen before, in London, Warwickshire, Yorkshire, Devon, etc.
h) Increased amounts of singing. Which some might not consider a good thing, but no matter.
i) Going to the theatre and concerts - not often enough for my liking, but a little too often for my income.
j) Reading, notably making a very good start on the Discworld books, which I'd allowed to pass me by for too long.
k) Buying birthday presents. Well, I haven't done very much of that, but more than before.
l) Visiting university friends at home (and at Starbucks on Oxford Street)...
m) ... and home friends at university.
n) Finally relenting and agreeing to stay over with other people rather than insisting on sleeping in my own room, which greatly aided l) and m).
o) Trying to nurture a can-do attitude, generally be less weird, and sleep more.
And some, more or fewer other notable things of note. They may not sound much but, you know, every little helps.

4 Comments:
just to burst the bubbles of rosiness about college... (don't you rememeber exam term??!) one doesn't go outside or see people much when one is revising for the most part of every day
PS yay about the accomplishments tho :)
Oh, absolutely, I don't envy you the experience of exam term! I was reading a physics syllabus earlier, and that was scary enough... But I still went out for meals and to check the p'lodge, at least. The crazy thing about houses is you get food, post, bed and desk in the same building...!
I know all about the "stay at home and only leave for supplies" of thing. On my days off (and sometimes weekends) I land up being home all the time. It drives me crazy. So today instead of taking the bus from outside our house I walked 1.5 miles to the train station to get on the train for 5 minutes (was only going to Luton proper) and did the same on my way back!
Post a Comment
<< Home