Friday, January 13, 2006

And the sky is grey

I've been out walking by the canal with Shula, discussing my apparent unsuitability for any form of future. For myself, I'd like it if there was one aspect of my life that I was happy with*, if I had even one true strength in which I believed and which I could cite in my defence.

(In a way it'd be nice to believe that I could even do something fairly "low-level" but reasonably respectable like, I dunno, work in a bookshop. Though I suspect that such positions either tend not to be intended for graduates or to require a degree in English.)

And now, having watched The Two Extended Towers, I'd best set to trying to find my way out of utter malaise. Ho hum.

---

Does anyone have an opinion on Going Travelling? Personally I feel that it's something that could be quite exciting, and would certainly help fill out my meagre CV. On the other hand I've only recently been further than fifteen miles away on my own so the thought of going to another continent alone is pretty scary, blowing thousands of pounds on what's essentially a jolly holiday seems rather extravagant, and simply leaving for a few months and ignoring any longer-term plans seems kind of reckless. But Shula suggested that it might in fact do me good to go away and do something completely different, and to stop thinking too much about what I was meant to be doing with my life. Maybe she's right.

I could lead on from the example of expensive CV-fillers to expound upon my theory that it's not undergraduate admission but graduate recruitment that remains biased towards the middle-class/privately-educated/etc., but I'll leave that for now.

---

*It probably seems very churlish of me not to be happy with a first-class degree from Cambridge. But I don't actually believe it's done much for my prospects, I suspect my success was more down to a good memory and a stupid choice of subjects rather than any real understanding, and I still suspect (as most everyone does at first) that my admission in the first place was some kind of administrative error.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home