Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Year!

Well Sherry, since you asked...

New Year's Eve found me at the matinée concert of The Orchestra I Was Never In, Though 'All' My Friends Were/Are. Such occasions are always tinged with displeasure since they heighten feelings of inferiority, but on the whole I enjoyed it very well. I made a conscious effort this time to pay attention to the music rather than drifting off, and it was super. The programme was all Shakespeare-inspired: Woolfenden's Illyrian Dances, Warbeck's soundtrack to Shakespeare in Love, Doyle's overture to Much Ado About Nothing, and Walton's Henry V.

The evening was spent with the orchestral posse (and selected hangers-on, e.g. me); the venue, incidentally, takes the crown as the most expensive/impressive house I've visited, even though I didn't see it in the daylight. And the journey there snatches the title of 'craziest roads, corners and gradients' from the route to Miranda's two years ago.

It was the first New Year in the last seven that I hadn't spent with the same friends, so it was somewhat different but still cool. Amongst other things we discovered that a mutual acquaintance really exists, and that at least one girl is capable of sweeping me almost off my feet. In an entirely literal sense. After some debate I decided, as usual, to go home rather than sleep over, thus setting a new record for 'latest car journey', arriving home as I did at 3am.

---

The afternoon of New Year's Day was spent with three generations of assorted relatives, with me failing to win the Disney Trivia Game.

---

Yesterday Shula and I went exploring the tame countryside around some of the prettiest villages in these parts. Which was nice, even if I did resent slightly having to pay for car-parking on a bank holiday. Hehe.

---

Today I spent the morning in bed finishing re-reading The Lord of the Rings, the early afternoon playing the violin (must find myself an orchestra this term), and intend to spend the evening getting back into career plans [makes face of distaste*] and/or starting on some Discworld. I've also finished reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves, and make no apology for the Oxford comma in the previous sentence.

So there you go; not that exciting at all!

HNY, everyone.

---

*I've recently uncovered an email I received almost exactly a year ago from Esteemed Cambridge Professor: "Yes you should consider graduate study, you are an obvious candidate." Sigh...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

I read "Going Postal" while I was in Singapore and must have enjoyed it because according to my sister I kept giggling to myself.

January 03, 2006 7:25 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Hehe. I got that for Christmas, but a friend also lent me the first two in the series so I think I should start there! I've only read one or two random Discworlds before.

January 03, 2006 7:51 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Oh and I've spent some quality time adding to my Facebook groups. I'm concerned that there may be such a thing as 'group-stalking', whereby you read a friend or acquaintance's profile and think "ooh, those groups look good", and join them, and before you know it you're following them around wearing the same clothes. Or to put it more healthily, reading people's profiles gives you information about the available groups, which you may or may not join at will.

(All instances of 'you' here should probably be replaced by 'one', since I'm neither suggesting this is particularly relevant to Sherry nor talking particularly to her!)

January 03, 2006 11:09 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

i think it'd be pretty silly of you to join any of the ones i belong to as they are the fitz one, the fitz female football one and the law society one - none applicable to you really.

January 04, 2006 9:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home