Monday, December 19, 2005

Nothing much said...

... and nothing much to say. Feeling directionless as ever, and lethargic too. Cue comments about the poverty of my diet. Time spent in agreeable company only seems to make the spaces in between seem duller and lonelier, too.

But I'm heartened a little by this quotation from the Careers Service:
My career wasn't planned as such. It was not until over 18 months after graduation that I had an idea as to what I really wanted to do. Sometimes people need 'empty space' to find a path for themselves.
Of course, we don't know how successful this career actually was, but it does suggest that perhaps in the long term of years, as well as the short term of weeks, there's something worth experiencing. It's the medium term of months that's bleakest.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could be wrong, but I think that last paragraph is actually rather profound. Let me get back to you.

TCH

December 19, 2005 8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my sister kept reminding me, we have more time than we think. It's hard to feel that's the case when so many people seem like they're going straight into perfect, high-paid jobs, but it's true.

Stepping straight into a job post-graduation can be a mistake, and if there's nothing that you can think of anyway, then what would be the point? Seems - like a lot of us - you need time to take stock.

December 20, 2005 10:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to have a general aim of my life, and also a plan for the next few years, months, and weeks, and I generally have something filled in for the next 3 weeks. Mind you, my situation is quite different. Longer term than three weeks contains general aims, major events, and probable 'need to do' stuffs.

December 20, 2005 12:56 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Emma: I quite agree, and I'm glad you said this because there are those lurking here who disagree. Several of the people one reads about, even in the 'typical' graduate jobs, took a few years getting there - indeed I suspect that strengthened their applications - and what you do with your life is far too important to just leap into without looking first.

How's your current occupation going, anyway? Are you there for the rest of the year too?

Alex: Yes, me too. The trouble is there comes a time when you kind of need detailed plans on a longer-term basis. Which has never been my kind of thing.

December 20, 2005 9:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home