Monday, December 12, 2005

Z31 Lite 2

"Are you telling me that drinking doesn't cause psychosis?" asked the minor TV presenter, rhetorically. Erm, yes, I think I probably am. Rather disappointed in The Wright Stuff this morning. Shows I should be getting on with my sizable to-do list for today instead!

On the subject, does anyone else find that a rather ridiculous amount of media coverage is being given to a story that amounts to "fire near London; some windows broken"?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a fairly significant fire though. Apparently I within the range of hearing the 'boom' but the sleep factor means i miss out on a 'irrelevant personal experience', although therre was on person the the BBC eyewitness bit who listed their place as Notting Hill/South Kensington

December 12, 2005 12:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and what's your concern on any enviromental issues from this?

December 12, 2005 12:28 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Well I'm concerned inasmuch as a great big fire isn't good for the environment, but there's not much point wringing one's hands and bemoaning it since there doesn't seem any way to help it now...

Apparently some people in the Netherlands heard it; according to Wikipedia (which already has a well-established article on the event) this was thanks to an 'inversion layer'.

I don't know about 'irrelevant personal experience'; I'm sure if I was in Hemel I'd've found the whole thing much more exciting. Loud noises are generally quite exciting, aren't they. It just seems a bit odd to treat it like the Biggest Event Ever when such things happen much more often in the developing world often with severe loss of life, for example. I suppose it's an improvement on the wall-to-wall George Best fest though.

December 12, 2005 1:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

60 million gallons of assorted hydrocarbons going up in flames deserves rather a lot of media coverage if you ask me. Wonder if this will cause the petrol prices to spike. Hmm, hope Total/Texaco are insured.

December 12, 2005 1:40 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Garh, which anonymous are you? Take my advice, whoever you are. But yes, you're right I suppose, it is big news economically and perhaps environmentally if not in human-interest terms. I suppose although I'm interested in most things I'm not necessarily interested in them for very long... Wouldn't've thought it'd have much effect on prices, but might just drop in for some petrol this afternoon anyway. Not a panic-buyer, need some anyway...

December 12, 2005 1:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home