Tuesday, November 29, 2005

With apologies...

... to Sherry, weekend-related bloggery will have to wait til tomorrow. I now have 192 firms in my spreadsheet of graduate recruiters and I'm hoping this number will begin to go down tomorrow. It's come to my attention that deadlines have begun to whizz past again. I'm not ready yet to devote significant amounts of time to applying anywhere in particular, so I have a choice between allowing the jobs with earlier deadlines to rule themselves out, or perhaps rushing off a couple of applications over the next few days on a 'nothing ventured' basis. Other arbitrary methods for shortening my list include ruling out any US-based firm that can't be bothered to have a dedicated UK website, any firm whose application process or - can you believe it? - website isn't mac-compatible, and perhaps conceding that if I wanted to be a lawyer I'd know it by now. Removing the law firms would shorten the list by 35 at a stroke, and I must say the idea of not even starting a training contract til at least autumn 2008 is fairly off-putting. [Note to the uninitiated: I used to entertain vague notions of being a lawyer, mostly because it was one of the few careers I'd actually heard of (isn't it funny how children don't grow up wanting to be management consultants), but decided there was no point doing a law degree if I didn't know that I wanted to do it, so I didn't]

So, Lord Of The Rings, sleep, and a bright early start for more spreadsheeting in the morning...

8 Comments:

Blogger Sherry said...

Don't become a lawyer. As someone who is well on my way to being one, I can inform you that being a solicitor is crap (if you really want to know why, you can email me) and since you (meaning me) can't get a pupillage, being a barrister is just a no-hoper. Cynical and twisted, that's me. On the other hand, I hear BP are looking for commodities traders.

November 29, 2005 9:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could keep deliberating until you're 24, get an HGV license and drive a petroleum tanker for BP! That wouldn't be boring - see the country (well, its motorways), road trips every day...

November 29, 2005 3:59 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

yeah, but then we'd have to read him whine about bad driving even more.

November 29, 2005 4:39 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Hey! I resent that! Though you make a fair point. I do try not to dwell on it or indeed write about it too much. Why do you think I only drive once a week? Nobody's forcing you to read it though...

Andy - I did once think that being a lorry driver would be fun, but I think I've grown out of that phase...

November 29, 2005 5:03 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

That's such a childish thing - don't read it if you don't like it :P Expected better from you :)

Incidentally, on the subject of crap driving, the A14 is the only road I've ever been on where you can actually count on white van/lorry drivers not to move over into the next lane even when it's empty to let you off a slip road. Some very scary experiences have been had.

(Bored again, can you tell?)

November 29, 2005 5:24 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Did I ever claim not to be childish? :) It could've been worse, I could've gone for "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". [cringe]

November 29, 2005 5:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to interrupt. 10/10 on the Shakespeare.

November 30, 2005 3:05 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

That would be even more impressive if we had any idea who you are...

November 30, 2005 6:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home