Thursday, December 08, 2005

Notice

If any of you nameless wonders have further representations to make, I suggest you make them soon, since I intend to disallow anonymous comments as of Saturday. I've been more than accommodating to people's whims, desire for intrigue, and laziness, but really enough's enough.

Interestingly I've just looked at the statcounter and it looks like those who are most hostile may not have changed over time...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame really, but certainly there's absolutely no reason why you should have to suffer confrontation from someone either too cowardly or else consciously impolite enough to write some of those last comments without a name.

(This of course coming from someone way too blusterous and pompous ever to consider letting credit for my bilge go unattributed ;-) )

TCH

December 08, 2005 9:12 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Thanks to both Becca and Toby - I'm glad you agree cos I was worried I was just being touchy. It's really the liberty of addressing such comments to non-anonymous me anonymously that really exercises me. Just not cricket.

December 09, 2005 12:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you took offence at the second anonymous comment. It certainly wasn't written as an attack upon yourself. You have often expressed beffuddlement at how it is that people manage to just fall into graduate jobs and the comment was intended to clarify that there is no falling involved, it's very much a conscious throwing of oneself.

Granted the sage advice offered to a person in your position may have come across as a mite aggressive. The "one application form for each industry" comment was intended as a pointer towards quality over quantity. With regard to the self-confidence issue, getting a job is 9/10ths self confidence - whether or not you have the ability to back up this confidence will only come out once you're working, and by that point you have the job.

There were no intentional insults to your intelligence and the comment was not intended to be diplomatic. It was however supposed to bring some stark truths about job hunting into focus. There's no hocuspocus or secret handshakes involved in getting a job, just a bit of hard graft.

Anyway, RE: locking down the blog, I think it would be a grave mistake. Anonymous feedback is the most useful form of feedback. You won't get sugar coated advice via anonymous comments and even though you will feel a little as if you're under attack when reading them, ultimately you will benefit. Just consider that maybe your close friends are quite tech savvy and that you may well know the posters intimately - IP addresses don't tell you half as much as you think they do.

If I were you I'd feel a little upset that I was under attack from an anonymous source but then I'd be quietly pleased knowing that someone cared enough to have taken the time to write a substantial comment in my blog. Lock down the blog and you won't get any anonymous comments, the blog will be considerably less interesting, your readership will decline and the blog will eventually die.

December 09, 2005 11:43 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

My, we are fond of ourselves aren't we. Yes, I am taking notice of the time taken to write all this. Are you really saying that my tech-savvy friends will go to great lengths to conceal their identities so that I don't know whose advice I'm suppose to be taking? Why on earth would they do that? And why, pray, should I accept comments about tech-savviness from someone who uses Internet Explorer?

Anyway I think you misunderstand. I don't suggest that anyone with a 'proper' job got there without a good deal of effort. I do wonder how they decide to what to devote their efforts, and exactly what they had to do to be successful. If, indeed, success can be measured in terms of how impressive one's job title is.

I'm not averse to hearing what people have to say, but I take the advice of even my closest friends with a great deal of circumspection, so I'm sure as hell not going to conduct myself according to the counsel of someone who deliberately conceals my identity. [Insert Phantom of the Opera comments here].

December 09, 2005 12:00 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Arse. Their identity.

December 09, 2005 12:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can still make anon comments. tho i fear it's not that anonymous as u can probably trace my ip. or can u? and yes, i am fond of myself. someone has to be

December 12, 2005 11:23 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

I suppose it's healthy enough to be fond of yourself. Yes, I can see your IP. It's not the most anonymous given that not all that many people I know work there. One or fewer, in fact.

December 12, 2005 1:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home