Finally discovering
what everyone else probably found out a year ago or more - online tests kind of suck. Today I've done a verbal reasoning test which took thirteen out of the twenty available minutes, but obviously my definition of deduction is different from the question setter's since I only managed to come in the top 45%. Numerical reasoning was better since I appeared in the top 15%, but still pretty dire cos it took me 21:56 of the available 22 minutes, even with some fairly hurried working. Deary me.
I'm also thinking that the armed forces are probably not the place for me what with being a weak-willed quasi-liberal who's often afraid of his own shadow...
And I need to start a spreadsheet of postgraduate courses. Yay.
---
On the basis of all the profiles and such that I've read (and I'm so, so sick of company websites atm. Be nice to have a break from staring at computer screens), it doesn't look like I'm going to get anywhere without a Masters, preferably business-related, and at least one thing of the 'teaching in Africa / becoming a dot-com entrepreneur / captaining the university alligator team' variety. Whether or not I can somehow magically acquire these experiences, I'm seriously wondering where all the people are with Science degrees. There are hundreds of us but they very rarely appear in any of the literature I've been reading. Which suggests perhaps that if I'm looking at things that scientists don't go into, I'm looking at the wrong things.
I dunno though, I get very disheartened when I look at my CV and see how weak it is compared with anything you can find in an 'employee profiles' section. I feel like my prospects are distinctly looking down and not sure quite what I can do about it. Here again the masterplan rears its scaly head, but I have to say I doubt that 'career indecision' would represent a suitable justification.
---
It's also depressing that it's so dark at this time of year. Unfortunately the parents are wont to ask for justification of more than one lightbulb at a time... so I am in fact being lit only by my TFTs...
---
Perhaps, in fact, I've been attributing wider applicability than warranted to the careers guides, etc. I kind of figured that since [almost] everyone needs a career, then the careers guides would be the place for [almost] everyone to find one, but maybe my instinct that it's only really for economists and the hardcore capitalists is actually correct... Which leaves me, of course, even more confused than before about what on earth I can do with myself... Ho hum.
I'm also thinking that the armed forces are probably not the place for me what with being a weak-willed quasi-liberal who's often afraid of his own shadow...
And I need to start a spreadsheet of postgraduate courses. Yay.
---
On the basis of all the profiles and such that I've read (and I'm so, so sick of company websites atm. Be nice to have a break from staring at computer screens), it doesn't look like I'm going to get anywhere without a Masters, preferably business-related, and at least one thing of the 'teaching in Africa / becoming a dot-com entrepreneur / captaining the university alligator team' variety. Whether or not I can somehow magically acquire these experiences, I'm seriously wondering where all the people are with Science degrees. There are hundreds of us but they very rarely appear in any of the literature I've been reading. Which suggests perhaps that if I'm looking at things that scientists don't go into, I'm looking at the wrong things.
I dunno though, I get very disheartened when I look at my CV and see how weak it is compared with anything you can find in an 'employee profiles' section. I feel like my prospects are distinctly looking down and not sure quite what I can do about it. Here again the masterplan rears its scaly head, but I have to say I doubt that 'career indecision' would represent a suitable justification.
---
It's also depressing that it's so dark at this time of year. Unfortunately the parents are wont to ask for justification of more than one lightbulb at a time... so I am in fact being lit only by my TFTs...
---
Perhaps, in fact, I've been attributing wider applicability than warranted to the careers guides, etc. I kind of figured that since [almost] everyone needs a career, then the careers guides would be the place for [almost] everyone to find one, but maybe my instinct that it's only really for economists and the hardcore capitalists is actually correct... Which leaves me, of course, even more confused than before about what on earth I can do with myself... Ho hum.

5 Comments:
have you tried using hobsons?
(i ask because new editions appear to be out.)
Yep, I have Hobsons Law 2005 and Hobsons Science & IT 2005. But they're not really any more appropriate than any other careers guides, are they? Also not sure where I can get new ones now that I don't have easy access to a plodge... But I'll keep an eye out :)
See you may be good at Shakespearean BBC tests but verbal tests are no match for you. I'm guessing these were for the Fast Stream in which case: ha ha cos I was in top 15% for both last year :p
Didn't really help with me being mercilessly rejected after much more rigorous testing though
Surely they're more than a match for me, then? I'd like to believe that my poor performance was down to unsubtle testing rather than my own linguistic failings... More generally, I just don't see why I should be bothered to leap through all these hoops just to get a job I don't want. And that applies to more or less any job you care to mention.
PS - not much point being anonymous if you're posting from work...!
Post a Comment
<< Home