Friday, December 30, 2005

Z31 Lite 3

I've been reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves (and why not), and was struck by the note that "they're", "their" and "there" all sound the same, and that "you're" sounds like "your". Does anyone else disagree with this? I'm sure that in my internal speech at least, "you're" has a much more shaped vowel (a diphthong, I suppose. Given that I'm from the south it doesn't really approach "ewer") than "your", which is pronounced more like "yore" (although still distinctly differently). Similarly "their" is much more flat and open than "they're". Whether this comes out in my speech I'm not sure. The matter is further complicated by my [very] occasional tendency towards a vaguely rhotic accent (you should've heard me when I was seven), in which case "your" and "there" receive, I suspect, significantly more /r/ than do "you're" or "their".

Fascinating stuff, no? Apologies for the somewhat laboured punctuation.

I suppose I can't leave this topic without revisiting again that classic Amazon review that went something like...
Thi's film ha's me in stitche's every time.
Happy 6th day of Christmas. I've a hankering for a goose-egg omelette.

9 Comments:

Blogger jonc said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 30, 2005 4:06 pm  
Blogger jonc said...

you got a job yet?

jonc

December 30, 2005 4:07 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

In the words of the great Homer, "I think it's pretty obvious that I don't". Can't say there's much evidence here that I'd be suitable for one, either.

(Disclaimer: I do, in fact, technically, have a job, but not in the 'proper' sense)

December 30, 2005 4:39 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

what's a rhotic?

January 01, 2006 2:47 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Take a look here . I don't understand it all but basically I think a rhotic accent is one in which you pronounce all your r's: thereby making 'yaw' and 'your' sound different even if the vowel-sound is the same, for example.

Happy New Year :)

January 01, 2006 3:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"what's a rhotic?"

2 pretty girls and a can of whipped cream with no cutlery in sight.

January 01, 2006 6:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on... it's not that bad a joke!

January 02, 2006 8:57 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Hehe, sorry, erm, are you the one using IE? ... I was expecting someone else to laugh :) Good effort, though.

January 02, 2006 10:13 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

sorry, been away. it's not that bad but i'm in the library at 9am on what feels like a monday so we know i'm not right in my mind.

January 03, 2006 9:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home