Tuesday, August 09, 2005

L'Anniversaire Shulaise

I'm going to leave for a while the big gap in my blogging (to which I intend to return), and ignore the disturbing current dilemma over what to do with my life, to get back on blogging track...

So, Happy Birthday to Shula (and, come to that, Becca B) for yesterday. I enjoyed Shula's traditional "let's sit in a pub garden/courtyard" much more this year, and wasn't quite so intimidated by her scary friends. It was good to see some old familiar faces :)

(Some) Quotations of the Night (quotations, that is, that hang around on mythical street corners wearing fishnets. Natch):
'You're never too old to be a Disney princess'
'Are your earrings made out of your own hair?'
'Get it out now...I'll hold it for you'

Toby's mildly-tipsy scat-singing of Hey Jude was notable. As was Lister's rare stationary nature.

Thanks to Mr & Mrs Shula for their forebearance.
Thanks to Katy for keeping me safe.
Thanks to The Green (the poshest part of 'Loud River', which does indeed have poshish parts) for having unrestricted parking for 'my' car, which wasn't stolen or, as far as I can tell, molested.

The Honorary Steph award to Mike for random piano bashing, and to Jack for Shula-Song skill.

Matters Arising:
At least two partays needed to commemorate Steph's return from her Grand Tour, Toby's polo mint, and the County course.
A back-to-back screening of the extended Lord of the Rings films required, with the possibility of re-watching The Phantom of the Opera in a post-modern, ironic, totally masochistic way too.
A trip to the cinema to take in HP & the Goblet of Fire.
I'd also like to suggest seeing Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and the new Pride & Prejudice, and maybe Madagascar. But perhaps give Herbie: Fully Loaded a miss...
Oh, and I still haven't given up on the idea of a real-time screening of 24, though I doubt anyone would be interested and it would only really make sense to watch a whole season naïvely, which I can't now that I've started 4 and I haven't yet heard whether there are plans for a 5th (though I doubt it)...

Matters Unresolved:
To what extent is the story of Alex Shires analogous to that of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or more accurately, her sister)? Does Katy want to take over the universe? Was she double-bluffing? Did Brett the Lumberjack enjoy shopping? Is Katie a figment of imagination or a crazy internet axe-fiend? What about Katy? What did happen to Scott? Do the people who are Katy and the people who are Crazy form a disjoint set, or can Katy be Crazy and Evil Shula too? Did Toby's brother deprive Anthony Stewart Head of discount croissants? Will there be stalking afoot at the stone circle? Who is the swarthy gay friend, or are we taking the whole thing too anti-literally?

Journey Home:
In a ten minute walk followed by a ten minute drive, I saw only one other car on the road and no pedestrians (though there were a few people hanging around). The sort of conditions that made even me feel tempted to ignore the speed limits. But I didn't cos I'm a bitch to social conformity. I did, though, try to use brakes and gears as little as possible, which meant taking roundabouts in fifth, and I used signals only at the beginning, if at all, which made sense as there was nobody to signal to...

Think it's now too late to watch more 24 (Season 4, officially published on Monday but we had it on Saturday, woohoo) so time for some Order of the Phoenix before bed. Tomorrow: tidy room, sort out life, update blog using notes from last week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go see charlie and the chocolate factory.

This means you.

Whilst other people may not agree with my 'best thing i've seen at the cinema in at least a year' i think most people i know will at least enjoy it.

Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, a Danny Elfman soundtrack and an army of trained squirrels, what more could you want?

....hmmm I've become scary, haven't i?

August 09, 2005 4:56 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Erm... I don't think you've become scary since I've known you... [/faux-diplomatic]

August 09, 2005 7:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That faux-diplomacy will get you nowhere, Mr Maloney.

Only matter not resolved I can resolve is that Robin was nonetheless successful in his quest for discount croissants despite Anthony Stewart Head's anecdotally advantageous introduction to proceedings. And I gave half of one of my two croissants to Meg, which I thought was very generous and easy-going of me.

As to the stalking, do I hear muffled sounds of evil laughter or is it just my tinnitus?

TCH

August 10, 2005 2:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home