Wednesday, July 27, 2005

As a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear

Am watching the 1968 Zeffirelli version of Romeo & Juliet. The über-posh English accents are, to me, at least as silly as the 'Verona Beach' 1996 Baz Luhrmann version. I guess opinions were different in those days on the authentic Shakespearean accent. I believe it's considered by some as one of the greatest films ever so it'll be interesting to see...

The IMDB tells me that Paul McCartney was originally asked to play the lead - can you imagine?! I guess someone was blinded by celebrity... And Zeffirelli was worried that Olivia Hussey was getting fat and banned pasta from the set. Heehee. Some say she's one of the most beautiful people ever, and I see no reason to disagree so far. Strangely, the kids seem more 'real' in this than in the 1996 version; not sure whether it's because they remind me of anyone I know, or because I identify more with 1960s Britons than 1990s Americans...

Oh dear, reserve batteries already... that'll teach me to run wireless broadband off of batteries...

Right, I'm back. 1:25 now. I kept being reminded of Monty Python films, and of Julia Sawalha in the BBC Pride & Prejudice. But it was worth watching nonetheless.

Trite summary: hard life being a teenager, innit?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that film in year 9 at school, and I remember thinking that Olivia Hussey was far too pretty ;)

July 27, 2005 10:19 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

We saw the Baz Luhrmann version (and I seem to remember it being Y10, which is odd given that we studied R&J in Y9...) and luckily there was half an hour of Billy Connolly after it on the tape. Result :)

July 27, 2005 11:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home