Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Bradfordtastic

Another 35 miles or so under my wheels today; with Alex and Andy, cycled down to Bradford-on-Avon and back along NCR4: Lacock, Melksham, Semington, Hilperton, Staverton, Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff. It was easier going than the Avebury route, but this menat higher speeds so I was pretty tired by the end of it. The distance wasn't too bad, but I think it might become a bit too far to do in a day if one wanted to actually stop and explore along the way.

In Bradford, I saw for the first time the 'controversial' new houses on the Frome Road in their finished state. I really do think they look cool, and I bet the views from them are really good (some would say all the better because it's the only place you can't see them from). The question of how well the materials will wear remains to be seen, of course. I do concede that they don't look like anything else in the town, and that perhaps they'd look better in an overtly modern location, but why should every new building be a pastiche of the past? I suppose it is possible to build something genuinely modern but in complementary style, though... Oh and at least in the summer, the trees screen the new houses fairly well from the other side of town. One still available (strangely, it's been that way for months), don't delay, etc.

Back home, Simon Schaffer continued his exposition of the history of the science of light on BBC2. Takes me back, etc. This week he went to Bath to tell the story of William Herschel. It's one of those love-or-hate places, and I suspect from previous and current evidence that Schaffer's not too keen on it; but I think it's debatable whether Herschel really was better off after being given a house in Slough, of all places, by George III.

Looking out of the window, I thought 'hmm, that's not a Hercules' and shuffled outside to watch what I think was the BBMF flying over - a Lancaster and a couple of Hurricanes. However I'm sorry to say that I probably wouldn't recognise the difference between a Lanc and a B-17... It had a |-| shaped tailplane, if that helps someone identify it for me...

Location Location Location's on now - yay, Kirstie & Phil - so I'd better pay attention...

'If they don't want it, I'll have it', says Kirstie of a £575,000 house. I'm in the wrong job. Oh, hang on... Actually it's not just about being jealous of Kirstie - the punters this week are a couple and the dude's sister, all in their mid-late twenties, I'd say, with a £500,000 budget. Sigh...

Hmm, how come next week's is a 'revisited' LLL? We're only two weeks into the series...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home